What's new

Laptop download speeds <1mbps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hokiez97

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

My work laptop has recently started having issues when connected to my home wifi where download speeds drop to <1mbps making it basically unusable. My personal laptop which sits right next to the work laptop continues to get great speeds, up to 200mbps (my internet plan max).

To get speeds back to normal on the work PC, I just disconnect and reconnect to the wifi and speeds return to normal for a while.

Here's a screenshot from my router showing the two PCs - you can see the connection speed between router and work laptop (bottom) is horrible compared to the personal laptop (top).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ayo98mw6ibi4gv8/asus wireless.JPG?dl=0

I have been unable to find anything abnormal running on my work PC that would explain this.

Try disabling universal beamforming in wireless professional settings and reconnect the device.

Sometimes plays havoc with devices as a non-standard implementation.

Try your work laptop on someone else's network (to see if it might be a laptop issue)? Force it to connect at 2.4 Ghz (if it works then maybe you can get some work done until you figure it out)?