What's new

Large House Wifi Options

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Elmo33

New Around Here
Hi,
I have a very large, old home with plaster walls, which I have been covering using an asus ac3200 in the basement and a ac66u on the top floor. They are connect via a Cat 5 (maybe 5e) cable. The distance between the two wired contact points is about 50-75 feet in a straight line (3 stories difference overall). The 66u has been setup in access point mode. The system has worked for a few years with some hiccups. Currently I can't use the 2.4G on the ac3200 for an unknown reason. At this point I've gotten tired of fighting with it. I would like to move to a mesh system (but am concerned that it won't work through the plaster walls) vs changing to a non Asus router/AP setup. I'm open to opinions on both. I've added a lot of smart home things through the house so there are many devices. I need the system to handle streaming, be reliable (I don't care about a lot of upfront work but the easier the better), handle many devices, and have good range. Budget is 500 or so, if needed can do more but I hope not. Thank you for your help and thoughts.
Elmo

You could replace those 2 routers with 2 x Amplifi HD from Ubiquiti. One in the basement and one on the first floor connected with you CAT5 cable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How important is having mu-MIMO? We have a lot of devices which to my very limited understanding is what that helps with. Thanks for the reply!

You don’t need mu-mimo, I think you have devices that supports this. For 20 -30 devices in your house i think 2 amplifi hd cubes are ok. You can test this solution and if you are not happy you can return them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With 500 You can do a lot

Since you already have 2 floors wired the work is easy. First does the router works or even that fails. Check and update.

You need a router + AP. May be extend based on the coverage you needed.

Edge router-x is basic router can also load balancing
TP Link EAP 225 or 330
Ubiquiti AC Lite or PRO.

Choose the one you needed. and fits budget. For both AP you need a router. These wont able to assign IP and do nat. which is basic for router .

If all goes per above you can save upto 100+ bugs as these will fit within 350-400 range.

You can get 2 ap one in same floor and other is 1st floor. Still it will be a lot cheaper than single router mode.