What's new

Large number of connections to my router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randomName

Very Senior Member
I get back after a 2hr family event to my pc that has been idling.. nothing opened. I open my browser, check my router and there are 537 connections to my pc. didn't catch how many were active but should this be a concern? And if so how can I monitor more closely what is connecting to my pc, etc.

Are they all listed as "active" connections, or are some timed out or expired?

That's not a totally whacky #, especially if some/most of them are timed out or closed.

Making sure you have the router firewall on, and that you're not running any P2P stuff like bit torrent or skype running would be smart.

Also on Macs you can go to activity manager and on Win you can go to task manager to look at open background processes and make sure nothing unexpected is running.

If you use Chrome browser it has a really handy live connection monitor under *correction, it's under "chrome://net-internals" then looking at the various pages where you can determine a lot about the places chrome has reached out and touched (obviously only reveals what your browser activity is doing, but it can still be somewhat surprising the # of open connections that web browsing runs through). Also if you want to set your DNS to OpenDNS for a day (Free) and use a local client, or DNS-O-Matic to update it with your IP, you can get very detailed info about all the DNS lookups your network has done.

Last edited:
You know I had some weirdness going on in my laptop. I ran Microsoft’s TCPIP stack fix. The weirdness is gone and my ping times are lower. Just Google Microsoft TCPIP stack fix. Then run the Microsoft fix which is on that page. Maybe it will help, maybe not, but it can’t hurt.

I open my browser, check my router and there are 537 connections to my pc. didn't catch how many were active but should this be a concern?
Hi,

I have currently
Code:
Connections 	4262  / 65535   -  2091 active
and I am NOT worried! :rolleyes:

You can go to Network Tools - Netstat to see all your connections.
I am sure you will have a lot of fun looking into the serveral hundreds (or thousends) of connections... :eek:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!