What's new

Latency spikes when adding a repeater or AI node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mschlott

New Around Here
Hi, I decided to replace my Linksys WRT-1900ACS so I could set up and AI Mesh network using an Asus router that I was using as a repeater. I am using an RT-AC3100 as my AI Mesh router and two rt-AC68u for my AI Nodes. If I have both of the rt-68u turned off I get ping times of 1 ms to 10 ms to the router, 192.168.2.1. If I turn on one of the AI nodes, that ping time varies all over the place and even times out periodically.

I have used netsh wlan show interfaces to verify I am still connected to the router not one of the nodes. It does not matter where I am, I can have the router physically between my laptop and the node so I know the router should have the stronger signal. I have about 30 ft and 1 or more walls between nodes and the router.

It seems like there is an RF problem. How do I go about troubleshooting this to determine where the problem is.

When I was using just the Linksys router I got much more consistent ping times to the router of less than 2ms.

Welcome to the forums @mschlott. Sounds like you have too much Wi-Fi in your home. Consider using the RT-AC68U's in Media Bridge mode for your wired capable clients instead.

What kind of area are you covering with the RT-AC3100? It was good for a 5K SqFt for my customer.

RT-AC3100 Report https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391
I think you are right that I should not need more than the RT-AC3100 to cover my house. I'll try switching the nodes to media bridge and see what that does.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!