What's new

Latest Merlin - OpenVPN Query

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wishmaster1965

Regular Contributor
So I am running 384.17 on my RT-AC68U its running with and 8GB stick in the USB3 port with only Diversion as the big plugin and a few other smaller plugins, No Skynet or other big plugins yet.

I configured Openvpn and saved off the connection profiles, created 2 users and setup both devices. Both device connect OK to openvpn but the issue I see is that when connected they can only see the router (AC68) so I can access the admin page but not my NAS page. One of the device is a chromebook and I installed the limited linux shell and this confirms I cannot ping the NAS device at all, router pings OK other vpn clients connected pings OK.

I cannot made any changes at the moment as my internet is down which is not relevant just now.

Is there something I need in a custom config somewhere to allow Openvpn connect device to see the LAN devices ?

Last edited:
As I understand it the only device on your LAN that you are having problems accessing is the NAS. Correct? If that is so then check the firewall on your NAS.

I have no firewall on the NAS device

Here is my Advanced setup for OpenVPN
upload_2020-5-10_12-30-39.png

tried adding at staic route from 10.8.0.0/32 to 192.168.1.254

Still no luck. I will review the info from Jeffry as wel

On the "general" page, is it set to "LAN" "Internet" or "Both"? You need LAN or Both.

On the "general" page, is it set to "LAN" "Internet" or "Both"? You need LAN or Both.
Both as I am using Diversion on the router on my phone's openvpn

Both as I am using Diversion on the router on my phone's openvpn
Hmm. That should be all you need to push the route to your LAN. Your /etc/openvpn/server1/config.ovpn file will contain something like push "route 192.168.50.0 255.255.255.0 vpn_gateway 500"

You don't have anything in the client file to ignore it?

Also, while you are troubleshooting this, you generally don't need two clients defined unless you a treating them differently.

@ColinTaylor where is this script mentioned in that post on the router

Found the script location and saved it, modified my vpn addresses to 192.168.8.0/24 and rebooted router

Reconnected vpn clients, got 192.168.8.2 on my VPN and still cannot ping LAN addresses :(

Changed my static route to 192.168.8.0 /24 to go to my router on 192.168.1.254 still nothing

Last edited:
Found the script location and saved it, modified my vpn addresses to 192.168.8.0/24 and rebooted router

Reconnected vpn clients, got 192.168.8.2 on my VPN and still cannot ping LAN addresses :(
I asked you earlier whether the NAS was the only device you couldn't connect to. Don't only rely on ping to test connectivity.

Can you connect to some other device on the LAN (like a printer or ftp server) and confirm what IP address you appear to be coming from.

Changed my static route to 192.168.8.0 /24 to go to my router on 192,168.1.254 still nothing
You shouldn't need any static routes now. Delete it.

EDIT: Did you create the script with a Linux-type editor and give it executable permissions?

Last edited:
Thanks all, got it working apart from my sat receiver , can see my NAS now. Turned out that the Gateway address was wrong on the NAS.

Appreciate everyone's assistance

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online