What's new

Layer 3 or Layer 2 Isolation? Everyone giving up on Layer 2?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tdhite

Occasional Visitor
Just a quick question. I've been considering a move to AX series, or going with my own SBC router I build from scratch. The difference in question is simple: I can go pure layer 3 isolation across devices or I can go with layer 2 (vlan) network isolation.

AX series (as with most recent Asus routers) do not have a working robocfg as I understand, which means no realistic vlan tagging at ports.

I took a look at the ip(6)tables and ebtables isolation model in a default "multiple guest network" setup and frankly it's ok, but somewhat trivial (i.e. weak, but kinda works). It will need a lot of custom upgrades for what I'm doing.

So - the question is this: has everyone but me already acquiesced to layer 3 isolation? If so, it's not a problem, I definitely prefer to buy another Asus (AX) router and keep asusert-merlin software, but hope to understand others' experience with rather extensive layer 3 isolation customization (I'll need a lot).

Thoughts?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!