What's new

Lenovo Chromebook N22 - $179 on the Amazon - 12/09 only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
Nice little Chromebook...

Touchscreen and 4GB of RAM - storage is light at 16GB, this is typical...

It's somewhat ruggedized as it's intended for students.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H5EFSJQ/?tag=snbforums-20

Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 6.16.41 PM.png

I couldn't resist - Prime and had some AMEX reward points, so basically free...

First glance - good keyboard, decent screen - from a WiFi perspective, it's Intel AC-7265 with Linux drivers (google improved/approved perhaps).

There's a few variants of this model - the one above was 4GB RAM, 16GB eMMC, Touch Screen - some reviews don't mention the touch - this screen is glossy, which might be a problem for some, but good color/brightness/off-angle...

Pretty easy to get into Developer Mode, so it's a decent buy...

sneaking a note in for SNB folks - the 7265 isn't too bad - but my guess is that the settings in linux are pretty conservative, considering the market - speedtest mini hosted on my GB lan...

Screenshot 2016-12-13 at 7.33.48 PM.png

Fast enough for most... but this is flash based, and I don't think the numbers above are valid, but it's flash, thru a browser...

DSLReports.com speedtest, which doesn't really test the client... but the home net is a 150/10 committed connection from CoxHSI...

Screenshot 2016-12-13 at 7.38.42 PM.png

they seem to have followed apple and used only 1 port. Theres just no ethernet port. I would've gotten a chrome book if i could find one that has the right ports, the right amount of battery and uses an i3/i5 with the ram not soldered onto the board that doesnt cost as much as a laptop.

they seem to have followed apple and used only 1 port. Theres just no ethernet port. I would've gotten a chrome book if i could find one that has the right ports, the right amount of battery and uses an i3/i5 with the ram not soldered onto the board that doesnt cost as much as a laptop.

The Lenovo N22 has two USB3 ports, and the SD Card Reader - also has HDMI..

The Lenovo N22 has two USB3 ports, and the SD Card Reader - also has HDMI..
but it still doesnt have ethernet. Its alright though i'll save money and get a razor gaming laptop as it has usb-c, thunderbolt 3 and gigabit ethernet.

on amazon UK these chromebooks are sold for double.

but it still doesnt have ethernet. Its alright though i'll save money and get a razor gaming laptop as it has usb-c, thunderbolt 3 and gigabit ethernet.

on amazon UK these chromebooks are sold for double.

Good to see you back - it's been a while...

It's a nice little unit - obviously a Razor is completely a different class of computer :D

I got a Chromebook for Linux, it's great, and now I'm on my third and I use ChromeOS much more than crouton. If gDocs doesn't meet your needs try any one of the million other web-based editors. Good chance you'll find a better experience than LibreOffice. What about Office Online?

The N22 has Google Play support these days - (Android apps) - so it can run Word/Powerpoint/Excel as intended for Android - somewhat limited compared to Office for Windows/Mac, but still surprisingly capable.

One of the unspoken things - if one's office has G-Suite, a ChromeBook can be very capable - https://gsuite.google.com/

And going back to Google Play - Termux - which extends things quite a bit - one can actually do some development work there...

https://blog.lessonslearned.org/building-a-more-secure-development-chromebook/

And should finally note - recent versions of ChromeOS now have integrated OpenVPN native support (previously they support L2TP/IPSec).

I use this primarily these days for travel when I go to Shenzen and Beijing along with a cheap Android phone/hotspot - that way when I leave, I just powerwash the chromebook and reset the android device...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!