What's new

Lenovo Random Mac address help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sebastien Bougie

Regular Contributor
Hello,

I have a Lenovo Smart Clock that seems to have a nice feature... RANDOM MAC ADDRESS.

I was wondering on my router i have the Wireless Mac filter Enable so everytime this MAC change the Smart clock get disconnected. Is there a way to put somewhere maybe in SSH the mac address like this 11:11:11:??:AA:AA the ?? is always what changing for this smartclock....

I know i can do this for the DHCP with the dhcp-host=11:11:11:*:AA:AA,LenovoClock,10.1.1.185,10m

I dont want to put this on a guest network.

Can someone help
Thanks

I take it this option can't be changed on the clock then?

Why is the Mac filter enabled? No effective security offered anymore. :)

Hello,

I have a Lenovo Smart Clock that seems to have a nice feature... RANDOM MAC ADDRESS.

I was wondering on my router i have the Wireless Mac filter Enable so everytime this MAC change the Smart clock get disconnected. Is there a way to put somewhere maybe in SSH the mac address like this 11:11:11:??:AA:AA the ?? is always what changing for this smartclock....

I know i can do this for the DHCP with the dhcp-host=11:11:11:*:AA:AA,LenovoClock,10.1.1.185,10m

I dont want to put this on a guest network.

Can someone help
Thanks

So strange feature for a smart clock ... :) Why the hell a smart clock may need to have a random MAC address feature? I am really confused ...

It would have to be done in the wireless driver. I've just tried doing that with a wildcard value in the MAC address string and it doesn't work.

I also have another weird situation. On my other lenovo smart display that doest have the random mac, If I connect it to my network i can see it but it fail to access the internet, if i put it on a Guest network with Yazfi and put another range of IP it work but i need those device to be on my regular network. I tried to disable Skynet & Diversion, the internet is not block for this devise and i dont have a parental control on it.... Any ideas?

I also have another weird situation. On my other lenovo smart display that doest have the random mac, If I connect it to my network i can see it but it fail to access the internet, if i put it on a Guest network with Yazfi and put another range of IP it work but i need those device to be on my regular network. I tried to disable Skynet & Diversion, the internet is not block for this devise and i dont have a parental control on it.... Any ideas?
Maybe it has a hard-coded subnet that it uses for configuring itself and that is conflicting with the subnet of your main LAN. Similar to the way a cable modem might use 192.168.100.x for its admin interface.

Regarding your random MAC address problem, it looks like these smart things are simply android devices. My guess is that Lenovo are just lazy and not doing much in the way of customising the basic setup. Do you have access to the WiFi options that might allow you to turn the feature off?

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-enable-a-randomized-mac-address-in-android-10/

no i'm not able to access this device at all. I will wait and see if they will patch this

thanks