What's new

Limit Bandwidth On Devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

STRUZZIN

Regular Contributor
Is there a way to limit speed on certain devices>?
I was trying bandwidth limiter but it does not work.
Is there a better way to do it any advice on would be great.

The big problem I am having is 2 TV's that stream.
I cannot control Amazon Prime and certain apps which I really want to limit.

Last edited:
Bandwidth limiter works perfectly for me... Whats your problem with it?

Just add a device, make sure it's checked to enable and put in whatever limit you want in Mbps.

It does not work the TV's I added still going full speed.
I guess today I will have to full reset and see if it fixes it.
Would the IPV6 Passthrough do this ?
Also what speed to cap them at so streaming apps limited to 720p ?

@thiggins I appreciate it and will look over those.
You understand the issue right everything else has quality settings.
Some TV apps do not (Amazon) and it seems silly.

Most streaming services use very intelligent automatic bandwidth adaptation, even if they do not expose user controls.

Bandwidth limiting is not a great way to control streaming.
Take 10 minutes and watch this:
or read the blog form:
Very interesting perspective, thanks @thiggins !

Bandwidth limiting is not a great way to control streaming.
Take 10 minutes and watch this:
or read the blog form:
If a public place, such as a hotel, provides users with unlimited bandwidth, will this induce more download demand due to faster internet speeds? Although WiFi is half-duplex, hotels with multiple APs don't have to worry about users hogging the AP's time.

If a public place, such as a hotel, provides users with unlimited bandwidth, will this induce more download demand due to faster internet speeds? Although WiFi is half-duplex, hotels with multiple APs don't have to worry about users hogging the AP's time.
Anything is possible. But every hotel I've ever stayed in has limited bandwidth.

Not everyone needs a lot of bandwidth. I'm quite happy with 200/10 cable service. Even my old 10/0.8 service was fine for two people, except when I needed to upload large files or download a Linux distro.

Most streaming services use very intelligent automatic bandwidth adaptation, even if they do not expose user controls.
Netflix does an excellent job. Disney+ streams 4K even to 1080p and 720p devices. When my daughter signed up for DIsney+ our monthly bandwidth tripled despite the other kids watching hours more Netflix and PBS Kids. An hour of Netflix uses about 800 MiB and Disney+ about 4GB.

Netflix does an excellent job. Disney+ streams 4K even to 1080p and 720p devices. When my daughter signed up for DIsney+ our monthly bandwidth tripled despite the other kids watching hours more Netflix and PBS Kids. An hour of Netflix uses about 800 MiB and Disney+ about 4GB.
I thought Disney fixed that and you can adjust quality settings now.

I checked and now there is a setting to control bandwidth. Thanks for that. I switched it down and nobody's noticed :)