What's new

Limit Bandwidth on Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

justinglock40

Occasional Visitor
So I have a question. Looking for the best way to limit the bandwidth to one PC? I have a 940/880Mbps connection, but I have my Plex server that is downloading and uploading that saturates my connection and causes packet bursting and packet loss when playing warzone. Will the bandwidth limit function keep that PC in defined limits without affecting other devices?

Enabling Bandwidth Limiter will disable HW acceleration, which will reduce the total throughput of your router, depending on CPU speed.

Given the router is only capable of delivering the bandwidth your ISP is providing via HW acceleration, you've effectively outgrown it. It's one of the reasons I'm presently looking to move my router to a x86 desktop platform (e.g., pfSense, Untangle).

This will be an increasing problem as ISPs offer even more bandwidth (>Gigabit) in the months and years to come. HW acceleration is essentially just a hack to keep the current crop of consumer-grade routers and their relatively weak components relevant. But it tends to break things, QoS being one of them.

In short, I don't see any consumer-grade routers being up to the task unless manufacturers step up to the plate and vastly improve the specs on their routers. More likely, they will continue down the current path, trying to squeeze out performance improvements at the cost of feature loss to save money. And hoping most ppl won't notice and decide to look elsewhere.

Given the router is only capable of delivering the bandwidth your ISP is providing via HW acceleration, you've effectively outgrown it. It's one of the reasons I'm presently looking to move my router to a x86 desktop platform (e.g., pfSense, Untangle).

This will be an increasing problem as ISPs offer even more bandwidth (>Gigabit) in the months and years to come. HW acceleration is essentially just a hack to keep the current crop of consumer-grade routers and their relatively weak components relevant. But it tends to break things, QoS being one of them.

In short, I don't see any consumer-grade routers being up to the task unless manufacturers step up to the plate and vastly improve the specs on their routers. More likely, they will continue down the current path, trying to squeeze out performance improvements at the cost of feature loss to save money. And hoping most ppl won't notice and decide to look elsewhere.
Guess I’ll be playing with PFsense tonight. Do you think PFsense or OPNsense for new user transitioning from consumerware