What's new

Limit bandwith on specific interfaces?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

swealpha

Occasional Visitor
Hello!

Is it possible to limit bandwith on specific interfaces?

For example
Interface port1 = 30Mbit
Interface port2 = 10Mbit

Dont matter what asus router software is used.

Thank you!

oh man ;(

Do you have any advice on another router that fits my requirments?

OpenVPN + Limit interfaces

Thank you for your simple great answers!

Sorry, I don't. Not my area of expertise.

If you want to limit based on a physical port (rather than by client IP or MAC address) then I'd guess you'd need a managed switch of some sort.

Hopefully others can suggest something.

Maybe look at Tomato firmware for Asus routers - I think that can separate individual physical sockets so maybe that's an option.

Thank you ColinTaylor !!!

I will try to look into tomato, maybe it is more easy to just find a switch/firewall that can BW limit.

Do you know if asus merlin will disconnect the internet connection if the openVPN provider goes down? Or is it a easy way to do it?

Thank you master.

I lost track if ASUS/Merlin ever enabled the implementation, but on my fork it's possible to bandwidth limit based on the Guest Wifi network.

there is option to limit bandwidth for guest wifi network w/ merlin

you should also be able physically cap the total bandwidth available to most routers these days (at least for asus router.
So depends how complicate your setup is, you can pick up a cheap one and set them up that way.

Last edited:
I ended up buying a cheap managed switch (from the UK) for port bandwidth control and its worked well.