1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Link aggregation between two switches

Discussion in 'Switches, NICs and cabling' started by Johno, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Johno

Johno Occasional Visitor

I have a Cisco SG300 switch and plan on getting either a TP-Link or Netgear smart/managed switch to provide more ports in the office. My question is: can I connect both switches using link aggregation? By that I mean connecting the switches together with 2 cat5e cables and setting the link aggregation on each switch. Wasn't sure I can as the connection would be an uplink from one switch to the Cisco.
    Can anyone confirm whether it's possible and would work?

If that would work, then I'd plan on connecting my NAS drive to the TP Link switch, again using link aggregation. But would that work? The idea is to get the benefit of link aggregation between any device connected to either switch and the NAS device.

Hopefully I'm making sense

TIA

2. abailey

abailey Very Senior Member

Yes that should work. Just make sure all the switches support LAG. It is best if they all support static LAG as I have had some issues with LACP not working when using switches from different manufacturers.
    Just remember the max speed is still just 1Gb.

3. Johno

Johno Occasional Visitor

Thanks, pretty sure the TP-Link is static anyway and the Cisco gives me the choice of that or LACP

4. Johno

Johno Occasional Visitor

If two network ports are aggregated then what's the MAC address as presented to the rest of the network? Is one generated by the device?