What's new

Link aggregation between two switches

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Johno

Regular Contributor
I have a Cisco SG300 switch and plan on getting either a TP-Link or Netgear smart/managed switch to provide more ports in the office. My question is: can I connect both switches using link aggregation? By that I mean connecting the switches together with 2 cat5e cables and setting the link aggregation on each switch. Wasn't sure I can as the connection would be an uplink from one switch to the Cisco.
Can anyone confirm whether it's possible and would work?

If that would work, then I'd plan on connecting my NAS drive to the TP Link switch, again using link aggregation. But would that work? The idea is to get the benefit of link aggregation between any device connected to either switch and the NAS device.

Hopefully I'm making sense

TIA

Yes that should work. Just make sure all the switches support LAG. It is best if they all support static LAG as I have had some issues with LACP not working when using switches from different manufacturers.
Just remember the max speed is still just 1Gb.

Yes that should work. Just make sure all the switches support LAG. It is best if they all support static LAG as I have had some issues with LACP not working when using switches from different manufacturers.
Just remember the max speed is still just 1Gb.
Thanks, pretty sure the TP-Link is static anyway and the Cisco gives me the choice of that or LACP

If two network ports are aggregated then what's the MAC address as presented to the rest of the network? Is one generated by the device?