What's new

Link Aggregation question (RT-AC3100)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jibs2121

New Around Here
Heya,

I was bored and messing around with trying to setup 2 ethernet connections from my PC to my Asus router last night. I get bored and try to learn new things lol. I am not sure if there is any benefit or not to this but I wanted to try it just to learn something new on my home build.

My PC has 2 Nic Cards.
Asus Crosshair hero VII motherboard
1. Intel I211 Gigabit Network Connection (Built into Mobo)
2. Marvell Aqtion 10Gb Network Adapter (A client got it with their MSI godlike motherboard (AQtion AQN-107 Gaming Network Adapter) and didn't want it so I took it to play with. PCIe card...I dont have a 10Gb switch though bit works fine at 1Gb and on normal use with one Nic it seems to run better then the built in intel card even when testing internet speeds it gets closer to 1 Gb down then the intel card...I could be wrong though and it was just that day I tested lol)

I enabled link aggregation on my Asus router (Using Merlin Firmware 386.3_2) . Then connected both Cat 6 cables to Ports 1 and 2 and then to my Ethernet ports on the PC. The router shows my PC in the network list as 2 separate IPs for both cards.

I then tried to bridge both connections by Ctrl Right clicking and adding to a bridge under network connections in windows 11. It bridged them on the PC but I had no internet. I then realized I had to manually assign an IP/Gateway/Subnet/Dns to the bridge for it to work. Everything looks like it was working but then I noticed that when I go to the individual network cards only one is getting up and down traffic. The other one isn't sending or receiving anything even though the new bridged connection shows both as added and is working. Is this normal? Does it only kick in when the other starts getting a loot of data? I tried doing some research for this specific setup but couldnt find much other then doing this with a NAS.

It may be a fruitless attempt or I wont get much benefit but I was just wanting to try it and see if I could make it work as part of a learning process is all.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Link aggregation (aka Teaming) and Bridging are not the same thing. I believe Microsoft removed Teaming from Windows 10 a very long time ago. I don't know about Windows 11 though. Teaming is usually done in the driver of a multi-port NIC.

Link aggregation (aka Teaming) and Bridging are not the same thing. I believe Microsoft removed Teaming from Windows 10 a very long time ago. I don't know about Windows 11 though. Teaming is usually done in the driver of a multi-port NIC.
Windows 10 doesn't support Teaming anymore officially. But Teaming is still working for Windows 10 with manual setup.