What's new

Link light is off on modem when connecting to asus netgear rt n66u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zagann

Occasional Visitor
I called my ISP but obviously it isn't their router so they can't help me. I don't know what else to do, maybe I have to install an update on it? But no idea how to do that without being able to connect to the internet. I tried using a new ethernet cable, my internet works when I connect my modem straight to a computer though, but modem is still not connecting to the router. Please help!
Thanks in advance

You're connecting the ethernet cable from the modem to the blue WAN port on the router? Have you tried resetting the router to defaults and re-configuring it?

It is possible that the WAN port on your router is dead.

Do you have any other lights on the router illuminated/flashing, like power, wireless or LAN?

You're connecting the ethernet cable from the modem to the blue WAN port on the router? Have you tried resetting the router to defaults and re-configuring it?

It is possible that the WAN port on your router is dead.
Yes I am connecting it to the blue WAN port on the router, I tried resetting by pressing the button, on the back. Still shows the Link light off on the modem. It was working perfectly last night, randomly I woke up today to this. I was wondering if my router just needed a firmware update. But I can't even access it because it won't connect to the internet.

Do you have any other lights on the router illuminated/flashing, like power, wireless or LAN?
Every light on the router is working as if it were connected, only thing I noticed that is weird, is that the ports where I connect my computers to it are on even after I disconnect the ethernet cables off of it.

Every light on the router is working as if it were connected, only thing I noticed that is weird, is that the ports where I connect my computers to it are on even after I disconnect the ethernet cables off of it.
If you unplug all WAN and LAN cables as well as any USB devices and then power off/on the router do you still see all the LAN lights on? If so that would suggest that the switch chip is not working (the WAN and LAN ports are part of the same switch chip).

Either way it looks like you're going to have to try putting it into recovery mode and re-flashing the firmware.

If you unplug all WAN and LAN cables as well as any USB devices and then power off/on the router do you still see all the LAN lights on? If so that would suggest that the switch chip is not working (the WAN and LAN ports are part of the same switch chip).

Either way it looks like you're going to have to try putting it into recovery mode and re-flashing the firmware.

How do I put it in recovery mode and re-flash the firmware? Sorry I'm not very good with this.

Do you still have access to the router's management interface (via wired or wireless) or is it completely non-functional?

OK. Download the latest firmware (either stock Asus or Merlin's) to your PC and unzip the archive.

Then follow these instructions to get access to the ASUSTeK - CFE miniWeb Server. This can take a few tries because you have to release the reset button at just the right time. I find it helpful to open a command prompt on my PC and run a continuous ping to the router (ping -t 192.168.1.1), when the router starts responding to the ping with a TTL=100 you know it's time to release the button.;)

Once in the miniWeb Server you can browse your PC for the firmware trx file and upload it to the router. Be warned that it takes about 40 minutes for the upload to complete on the N66U, be patient!

EDIT: It's probably a good idea to restore the default NVRAM variables from the CFE before uploading the new firmware.

I don't need to be connected to the internet to do any of this? (besides downloading the archive) and I have to be connected to the router with a wire right?

Correct on all points.:)

I can't get it to work following the instructions. I don't know why. I set the my computer fixed ip like it says, once I open the browser the ip doesn't work, it just keeps telling me I don't have internet access.

Here are the same instructions (with pictures) from the Asus site.

Note that the final step is slightly different. They use the "Firmware Restoration" Windows program to flash the firmware instead of the CFE miniWeb Server. The end result is the same. I prefer to use the CFE because I found it more reliable, YMMV. Just be aware that if you use the Windows program it will wait a few minutes after uploading the firmware and then timeout with an error. Ignore this error - it's still flashing the firmware! Wait at least 40 minutes before turning off the router and rebooting.

Here are the same instructions (with pictures) from the Asus site.

Note that the final step is slightly different. They use the "Firmware Restoration" Windows program to flash the firmware instead of the CFE miniWeb Server. The end result is the same. I prefer to use the CFE because I found it more reliable, YMMV. Just be aware that if you use the Windows program it will wait a few minutes after uploading the firmware and then timeout with an error. Ignore this error - it's still flashing the firmware! Wait at least 40 minutes before turning off the router and rebooting.

So tell me if I'm wrong. I have the router connected to the power.
I turn it off.
Press the reset button and hold while i turn the router on.
Wait until I see a slow flashing power LED.
Release the button.
Plug in the ethernet cable to my computer only. (No cable going from router to modem)
And then do the rest?

I never get to the slow flashing light though. I don't know why. It always stays lit up when i let go

That's correct although I would leave the LAN cable connected between the router and the PC. Releasing the button at the right moment seems to be hit or miss for everyone.:rolleyes:

That's why just before doing that I prefer to setup the PC with it's fixed IP address and start the ping running. Initially the ping will time out but as the router powers on suddenly it will start responding. That's when you release the reset button.

Make sure you're pressing the Reset button and not the WPS button. It can be difficult to hold it in without an implement because it's recessed slightly.

EDIT: If you hold down the reset button for too long it will go into it's normal startup, which you don't want to happen.

Yes I've been pressing the reset button. I just started trying doing the ping. Typing ping 192.168.1.1
It says destination host unreachable. Should I ping when I first turn it on while holding the reset button? And then let go if I see something different in the pinging?

Start the ping at shortly before powering on the router. The timing isn't critical because you can use the "-t" option to make the ping run continuously.

Code:
C:\Windows\system32>ping -t 192.168.1.1

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!