What's new

Linksys/Apple Router Alternatives

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

T

thetoad30

Hello,

I just today lost my Linksys WRT350N router I had DD-WRT installed on and running my network with Static DHCP leasing.

I'm looking for another wireless, dual-band N router to replace the failed WRT350N.

I was going to purchase another Apple Router (I have one currently serving wireless clients as it's N was the best thing at the time) and use it to be my main router, however it does not have "DD-WRT"-like capability, nor does it have an SPI.

First question:

How important is an SPI firewall?

The next router I was looking at was the E4200. It currently has a major issue regarding the 2.4 GHz network (which I was going to put it on as a G wireless server) becoming bogged down because it's on the same CPU as the router. So that concerns me.

I guess I'm looking for the best all-around router right now.

I have my Apple router to serve up as an AP for 2.4/5 N clients. I would like the new router to have dual-band N capability as well, but it will more than likely be serving only the G clients at this time unless it's 2.4/5 N is stronger, then I will switch the Apple and the router around in wireless duties.

I must have a gigabit switch on the router, and would prefer a gigabit WAN as well.

I really would like to have DD-WRT ability on the router as I find it much easier to replace routers since I can just load up the same version of DD-WRT and load in the settings. Makes things quick and easy.

I am open to using another Apple router as it seems pretty fast regarding the reviews here, and I'm sure by now they've fixed the antenna issues that I read about.

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated. I have had very bad luck with D-Link, so I prefer not to fund their business.

Thank you.

Do you want to pay the Apple Price Premium for the logo?

Money doesn't really matter in this issue; obviously I'm not going to spend thousands on a top-of-the-line Cisco that does things an ISP/Backhaul provider needs, but I'm willing to purchase the best.

Right now I've purchased a Netgear WNDR3700V2 and I've noticed so far it's 5 GHz is superior to the Apple 5 GHz from a generation ago (not the updated three stream possible Router; it's their first-edition simultaneous dual-band).

I figured at this point Linksys was letting me down with the 2.4GHz CPU problem, and I didn't want to "settle" for a router with that kind of flaw. Wireless range is less of a "flaw" to a degree because RF environments are all dynamic and variable - what works for some people doesn't work at all for others... but I digress.

Is the WNDR3700V2 a router that will last 5 years? I really hate buying new things that should work forever. If it wasn't for the 10/100 switch and low throughput on my old WRT54Gv2, I'd have hooked that up and run with it...

If it wasn't for the 10/100 switch and low throughput on my old WRT54Gv2, I'd have hooked that up and run with it...
rather than hooking the WRT54Gv2 to a $30 100/1000 switch?

When my cable modem went to 20Mbps burst, my WRT54Gv2's packet forwarding rate wasn't fast enough. I used a later $60 Linksys and independent gigE switches for a long time. Now I have a Cradlepoint MBR900 to get every feature/option you could imaging, and then some. Like 4x what any mass market router has. And I still use the external switches.

Last edited:
rather than hooking the WRT54Gv2 to a $30 100/1000 switch?
...my WRT54Gv2's packet forwarding rate wasn't fast enough...

That's exactly my point. The throughput in the WRT54G routers just aren't fast enough anymore. So regardless if I could hook up a switch, the router cannot support the speeds of today's internet reliably without overloading the router.

So regardless if I could hook up a switch, the router cannot support the speeds of today's internet reliably without overloading the router.
Not so much the Internet, but rather what speed your ISP provides per your service contract. E.g., my cable modem, $45/month, bursts 20Mbps down, sustains (non-burst) about 10Mbps. But there are few to no real Internet host computers that will provide that much throughput, Speedtest.net servers aside.
But yes, the WRT54G is not what one should have even with 5Mbps and up. And VoIP and so on needing integral ALG services and so on leave the old routers in the unwanted category.

Not so much the Internet, but rather what speed your ISP provides per your service contract. E.g., my cable modem, $45/month, bursts 20Mbps down, sustains (non-burst) about 10Mbps. But there are few to no real Internet host computers that will provide that much throughput, Speedtest.net servers aside.

I must say I have to disagree with you on that one. There are plenty of servers that support those speeds. MSDN, Technet, Microsoft, Apple, etc. Many servers on the internet are finally allowed to go "full speed" as the proliferation of FTTH widens.

In my opinion cable companies are slowly losing with their paltry "super fast" download and crappy "barely better than dial up" uploads. In this day and age, <=2mbps upload speeds are laughable at best, and should be criminal at worst.

Is the WNDR3700V2 a router that will last 5 years? I really hate buying new things that should work forever. .

Only the shadow knows if it will last you 5 years. If you're lucky, sure. if you don't pour coffee on it, sure. FOREVER with electronics? NOT.

What will be with wifi in 5 years is anyone's guess.

The WNDR3700, WNDR3700V2 and E4200 are all solid choices. Pick your poison and move on.

Only the shadow knows if it will last you 5 years. If you're lucky, sure. if you don't pour coffee on it, sure. FOREVER with electronics? NOT.

What will be with wifi in 5 years is anyone's guess.

The WNDR3700, WNDR3700V2 and E4200 are all solid choices. Pick your poison and move on.

I think you misunderstood my slight sense of sarcasm.

I was talking more about the router portion. I've had routers fail after three months or had routers that were replaced almost immediately by the manufacturers with something "better" and then they no longer supported it.

I also had the unfortunate fact of owning a DIR-855. Because of that I will no longer buy anything with a D-Link name on it.

Anyway, I was merely stating that I've had my WRT350N for almost 5 years now, and it has worked great until recently. I have had my WRT54Gv2 for who knows how long now and again, if it wasn't due to the routing speed, would still be in use on my network. As it is I might be using it as a G access point to separate my G and N networks since i think it's switch speed is still fast.

So, forever with electronics? Never, as you have pointed out, and I agree. But I also was commenting on how something that "simple" should be able to last a while in terms of quality, not counting for upgrades in internet speed or wifi changes.

I must say I have to disagree with you on that one. There are plenty of servers that support those speeds. MSDN, Technet, Microsoft, Apple, etc. Many servers on the internet are finally allowed to go "full speed" as the proliferation of FTTH widens.
Can you document several servers that will (for consumer users) stream/FTP at more than 2 or 3 Mbps for a significant duration, on any day or time? I believe it's economics - how much they pay for bandwidth-out. Not a technical issue.

Can you document several servers that will (for consumer users) stream/FTP at more than 2 or 3 Mbps for a significant duration, on any day or time? I believe it's economics - how much they pay for bandwidth-out. Not a technical issue.

I did, and you even quoted them.

Another one I used just today was Adobe. I received almost 4.0 MB/s off their server this morning.