What's new

Linksys EA9200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NTSOS

New Around Here
Hi All,

I have been fighting with a Linksys EA9200 for two years now....I have tried everything to get it to connect quickly and stay connected via an ethernet cable to the internet. Once it connects, it will disconnect if it sits idle, but it is not consistent. If the connection is busy it will never disconnect.

The wireless connections are also slow to connect, but I'm not too concerned about them.

I have bypassed the router and connected directly from my modem to my computer and it is such a pleasure as it connects instantly and stays connected.

I have turned off all of the NICS power saving/sleep modes.

I have the latest firmware.

I have assigned DHCP reservations

I have hard reset to factory settings and reconfigured.

I constantly reboot the router, the modem and the computer.

Sometimes it helps to turn off the Window 8.1 or Win 10 firewall and then it reconnects, but not always.

It is set to cut through the firewall. I have tried to assign IP permissions in the firewall to no avail.

I can't remember half of the stuff I have tried over the years to make it work correctly to no avail....I torture myself because it cost over $300 and I try and try!

Linksys tech support is a joke!

I hate this POS!

Thanks for listening!

John

If the link lights are going out, maybe just putting a simple switch between it and the cable modem will fix the issue. I had an issue like that once where a cable modem absolutely did not like the wan port on our router...

If the link lights are going out, maybe just putting a simple switch between it and the cable modem will fix the issue. I had an issue like that once where a cable modem absolutely did not like the wan port on our router...
Hi Samir,

Ok....I'll try that....thanks man!

John

Hi Samir,

Ok....I'll try that....thanks man!

John
You're welcome. You may need to use a managed switch as that might 'filter' the packets better. I was able to solve this issue on my rv016 by putting two other cheapie routers in front of 2 of my 3 wans, but I know this won't exactly work for site-to-site tunnels, so hopefully the switch will do the trick.

You're welcome. You may need to use a managed switch as that might 'filter' the packets better. I was able to solve this issue on my rv016 by putting two other cheapie routers in front of 2 of my 3 wans, but I know this won't exactly work for site-to-site tunnels, so hopefully the switch will do the trick.

Hi Samir,

.....are you joking me.....YAY......it worked!

I actually have a managed switch in my setup....took a minute to fetch two longer cables and presto.....you are a super star, kind sir!

BTW, how exactly does filtering the packets with the switch circumvent the problem and why would the EA9200 even need the extra hardware?

Thanks again man......neat place!

John

Oops, I thought this was the thread about the rv325 having issues--that's what the filtering stuff and my example was for, lol.

As far as the the managed switch working, I don't think it would have mattered if it was managed or unmanaged because it seemed like the issue was an ethernet auto-negotiation issue. So if the modem couldn't connect properly directly to the Linksys, maybe it could connect to the switch and the switch could properly connect to the Linksys, thereby allowed both the modem and linksys to communicate normally, which seems to have worked! Yay!

Oops, I thought this was the thread about the rv325 having issues--that's what the filtering stuff and my example was for, lol.

As far as the the managed switch working, I don't think it would have mattered if it was managed or unmanaged because it seemed like the issue was an ethernet auto-negotiation issue. So if the modem couldn't connect properly directly to the Linksys, maybe it could connect to the switch and the switch could properly connect to the Linksys, thereby allowed both the modem and linksys to communicate normally, which seems to have worked! Yay!

Wow....lucky me.....I best go buy a lottery ticket! :)

It is so cool to have instant internet again after two years of frustration.......I don't like to be kept waiting!

Thanks again Samir!

John

All good! I'm glad the solution worked so well.

Two years is a long time. :eek: I'm glad you didn't have to toss the Linksys. But in the future if you ever upgrade, consider sending it to me since it's about 2 generations faster wifi than the fastest I've got.

All good! I'm glad the solution worked so well.

Two years is a long time. :eek: I'm glad you didn't have to toss the Linksys. But in the future if you ever upgrade, consider sending it to me since it's about 2 generations faster wifi than the fastest I've got.

Hi Samir,

The router now works perfectly, except for its weird requirement for additional hardware......when I upgrade, it's yours......please send me a private message as my brain is old and I tend to forget names etc.

Thanks man!

John

Hi Samir,

The router now works perfectly, except for its weird requirement for additional hardware......when I upgrade, it's yours......please send me a private message as my brain is old and I tend to forget names etc.

Thanks man!

John
PM sent! (I think that's what I did--never tried a PM on xenforo before.)

Ok...bought another smart switch to place all of my ethernet connections behind the two firewalls, one on the router and the firewall in Win10. The first smart switch was used between my modem and router to solve connection problem.

The slow to connect internet connection problems returned. I installed a remote on/off switch for the second smart switch and by turning off the second smart switch, the internet connected instantly and once connected, I could turn on the second smart switch and it would stay connected......interesting!

Since I now had two isolated smart switches, I moved one ethernet cable/device at a time to the other smart switch and rebooted to see if it would connect.

Every time I moved another cable/device, it would connect....I proceeded to move cables one at a time until it would not connect, I then turned off the smart switch and it would connect and stay connected. The ethernet connection to the Pioneer 141 monitor was the culprit, once it was removed, the router connected instantly to the internet.....I could then plug the monitor's ethernet cable back in and it also connected once the router was connected. I then removed the smart switch between the modem and router and hooked it up in parallel with the other switch and everything now works....I simply have 8 more ports available with the extra switch.

Bottom line.....it was never the EA9200 router....sorry Linksys for blaming you all! For some reason the monitor was causing all of the slow/no connection misery and I have left it disconnected from the internet.....good riddance!

I guess I learned a lesson in setting up a router....add and test each device/cable individually.......I just wonder why the monitor didn't like to connect initially and why would it cause connection problems for the router and all of the other devices?

John

Ok...bought another smart switch to place all of my ethernet connections behind the two firewalls, one on the router and the firewall in Win10. The first smart switch was used between my modem and router to solve connection problem.

The slow to connect internet connection problems returned. I installed a remote on/off switch for the second smart switch and by turning off the second smart switch, the internet connected instantly and once connected, I could turn on the second smart switch and it would stay connected......interesting!

Since I now had two isolated smart switches, I moved one ethernet cable/device at a time to the other smart switch and rebooted to see if it would connect.

Every time I moved another cable/device, it would connect....I proceeded to move cables one at a time until it would not connect, I then turned off the smart switch and it would connect and stay connected. The ethernet connection to the Pioneer 141 monitor was the culprit, once it was removed, the router connected instantly to the internet.....I could then plug the monitor's ethernet cable back in and it also connected once the router was connected. I then removed the smart switch between the modem and router and hooked it up in parallel with the other switch and everything now works....I simply have 8 more ports available with the extra switch.

Bottom line.....it was never the EA9200 router....sorry Linksys for blaming you all! For some reason the monitor was causing all of the slow/no connection misery and I have left it disconnected from the internet.....good riddance!

I guess I learned a lesson in setting up a router....add and test each device/cable individually.......I just wonder why the monitor didn't like to connect initially and why would it cause connection problems for the router and all of the other devices?

John
That's a nice TV for sure, although it seems that the networking function is mainly for remote control of the display like in wall advertising or kiosk applications. I don't think you'll lose any functionality of the television leaving it unplugged.

However, it is a bit odd why it might have been causing issue since it simply gets a dhcp ip address like everything else. Unless there was some sort of odd software conflict between it and the Linksys, so it still could have been a Linksys issue. I would test with a different ethernet cable or a direct run if it's going through a wall jack and patch panel. Could be something in the existing wiring that caused the issue as well.

Good to hear you got it all working and understand your network more--that's always the key to fixing something when it goes wrong. :D

Well, maybe it does have something to do with the Linksys.....the device line up is exactly the same as before and the monitor presented zero problems for my previous router so I didn't think to check it.

In any case....the monitor enjoys sending me email status reports for the config settings, hours in service etc....it's apparently bullet proof and I don't check it any more....although I can always connect to it.......you know, to let it know I still care!

Over and out!

John

Well, maybe it does have something to do with the Linksys.....the device line up is exactly the same as before and the monitor presented zero problems for my previous router so I didn't think to check it.

In any case....the monitor enjoys sending me email status reports for the config settings, hours in service etc....it's apparently bullet proof and I don't check it any more....although I can always connect to it.......you know, to let it know I still care!

Over and out!

John
That's pretty cool. But I would expect nothing less from that line. We looked into PE when building our theater room at my parents house, but finally went with a projector and a stewart filmscreen.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!