What's new

Linksys EA9500 to Asus GT-AX11000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FattysGoneWild

Regular Contributor
Thinking about a new router. Why?

1. Linksys lack of firmware updates for bug fixing and security updates. Last update was in 2017 as I have a V1 unit.

2. Router is 3 years old as of this month.

3. Big time gamers in the house. I believe the new router we would benefit. Getting open nat when 2 consoles are online at the same time is impossible with the Linksys.

4. WiFi 6 wise we only have 2 devices which are iPhone Pro Max’s.

1&2 are my strongest points. What do you guys think?

I’m in a similar place with a dying 4yo Netgear X8 router. We’re looking at going ahead with WiFi 6 as well for the extra processing power, even though I know we won’t have much in the way of WiFi 6 clients at this point. It helps that the WiFi 6 certification was actually passed this fall.

Only you know if you’re suffering issues with your current router but I understand what it is to deal with one that’s not what it used to be.

I don’t know what the Asus will give you specifically over the Linksys but you seem to have thought it through and have good reasoning behind it. I’m sad to hear that Linksys hasn’t done more firmware updates, though I can’t say that Netgear has with ours either, come to think of it. I’m considering Linksys for our next one so I’ll bear that in mind. Many people do like the Asus line and I think it has a version of DD-WRT as it’s management software so it’s quite powerful. I wish I could actually share something more helpful. From what I’m reading the new chips/WiFi 6 seem capable of handling more devices, which might be helpful for you depending on what you have connected.

Sorry I couldn’t help more. Best of luck. I hope you get more info from others that are more knowledgeable than me. :)

I went ahead with the Linksys Velop MX5300 single unit. I won’t have it until Dec 1st since it’s on backorder @Amazon. They had the best pricing at $299. Everyone else wants $399 for the single unit. Great hardware specs, love the look and has a 3 year warranty like my EA9500 had.

Chose the same exact router from Amazon. Mine’s arriving Dec. 4th. Couldn’t pass up the $299 price point. Reviews seem to be excellent for this WiFi 6 router and it looks great to boot.

I’m wondering how the Linksys Velop MX5 (single unit w/o the mesh hub) compares to other AX routers like the Netgear RAX80 or the Asus RT-AX88.

Most reviews have been on the dual MX10 combo. Will the MX5 performance be just as good as a single router?

I think you better wait at this point. This is not a time to go for AX devices since none of them are based on final draft. However, if you really need to upgrade, then do it.

I got my MX5300 yesterday from Amazon earlier then expected. It lives up to the hype and excellent reviews. I am very pleased with it and definitely an improvement over my previous router EA9500 V1.