What's new

Linksys Intros WRT Switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Razor512

Very Senior Member
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-news/32532-linksys-intros-wrt-switch

Is there a mistake with the 3D renders, or did something terrible happen at linksys HQ?

http://i.imgur.com/Zn42x34.jpg

Unmanaged gigabit switches generally have very few components, that produce less heat, thus not requiring a very large design.

In looking at their product images, it seems that someone added an extra 0 when specifying the height, and no one noticed, or they are planning on making an opening in the back of the switch that you can slide the WRT1900AC into.

Could be a move to a common form factor. Linksys isn't Cisco any more, but you'd saw this in low-end enterprise gear, where the wireless controller reused the same casing as the ASA. A case that size could provide clearance for a heat sink necessary on another device, or room for antenna mounts.

Edit: Or clearance concerns, the device sitting on top of it could put out enough heat to warrant more space between the two PCBs. A taller case would look better than stilts.

Last edited:
Edit: Or clearance concerns, the device sitting on top of it could put out enough heat to warrant more space between the two PCBs. A taller case would look better than stilts.

I think you hit the nail squarely on the head.

They needed a recessed area in order for the legs of the WRT to seat properly and make the whole thing stable. Since the WRT is already out, they'd either have to use some kind of after-market riser attached to the legs of the WRT or they'd have to manufacture the switch to accommodate.

Within that price, I'd rather have a metal-boxed NetGear Prosafe or Prosafe Plus. I'm not willing to buy a switch just because "it stacks nicely" under a specific model of router I might not own as long as the switch.

Within that price, I'd rather have a metal-boxed NetGear Prosafe or Prosafe Plus. I'm not willing to buy a switch just because "it stacks nicely" under a specific model of router I might not own as long as the switch.

VERY good point.

I was a bit disappointed that it's basically a dumbswitch in a WRT housing... 10 bucks for plastic...

If Linksys was going after prosumer space, it would have been nice to have a good budget smartswitch with some management capabilities.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!