What's new

Linksys Releases Dual-Band Version Of Velop Home Mesh Wi-Fi System

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
linksys-velop-dualband.jpg
Available in single, two-pack and three-pack options, the new AC1300 dual-band, two radio Velop Wi-Fi system is the smaller, more affordable sibling to Linksys’ Velop Tri-Band, three radio offering. Both products have dual-stream AC radios.

Standing two inches shorter than its predecessor, the dual-band MU-MIMO Velop includes familiar features such as Linksys’ Intelligent Mesh tech, parental controls, website blocking, Alexa compatibility, automatic updates, and management using the Linksys App (iOS or Android).

The dual-band Velop system is set up with one of the nodes designated as a parent node while all other (wired or wirelessly) connected nodes are clients. Nodes between the dual and tri-band models are also compatible to one another and can be used to extend a tri-band network at a better price.

Setting up either Velop system is done using the Linksys App, which according to Linksys simplifies the installation process. Additionally, Linksys’ Spot Finder feature helps optimize performance by helping determine the best node placement around the home.

Linksys’ Velop Dual-Band Whole Home Mesh WiFi System is currently offered as an online pre-order via Linksys.com, Amazon and BestBuy.com, and will be widely available in other online stores, as well as retail stores, on May 15, 2018. Pricing for the 1-pack, 2-pack and 3-pack are $129, $199, and $299, respectively.

Is there a review for this system in the pipeline? Mother Nature forced my hand on a WiFi upgrade with a timely lightning strike to my Aiport Extreme. Yesterday, I purchased the Velop Dual-Band setup. Performance has been meh. Range is worse than the surviving Airport Express according to WiFi Explorer.

Is there a review for this system in the pipeline? Mother Nature forced my hand on a WiFi upgrade with a timely lightning strike to my Aiport Extreme. Yesterday, I purchased the Velop Dual-Band setup. Performance has been meh. Range is worse than the surviving Airport Express according to WiFi Explorer.
Working on it right now. Backhaul tests indicate that mesh performance won't be great...

Working on it right now. Backhaul tests indicate that mesh performance won't be great...

That’s great news. Not long ago I wired my house with Ethernet drops in most rooms, so the wireless backhaul capacity is off little concern to me. I went with the Velop after reading your favorable review and for the wired backhaul capability. I am very much looking forward to your review. Thanks for the hard work.

I will not be testing it with Ethernet backhaul. Our standard process uses wireless backhaul.

Yeah I gotcha, I'm just saying in regards to your "mesh performance won't be great" that the system might still work for me with a wired backhaul. Anyhow, I'm looking forward to your review. Your reviews are well put together and the source I trust.

Testing is done and results are in the Charts and Ranker. But review won't be up until next week.
Here is the Ranker performance summary, in the meantime....

linksys_velop_db_ranker_performance_summary.png

Holy smokes what a step backwards. I expected some performance loss from the tri band Velop but not this much.

I hate this Wi-Fi system infancy stage. With Netgear's firmware issues, Linksys' high price and now poor performance, it doesn't seem like anyone will offer a complete solution anytime soon.

Thanks a lot for the sneak peek.

The APs aren't really that bad if you use Ethernet backhaul. The weakness is Wi-Fi back haul.