What's new

Linksys RVS4000, VPN and public IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PieterVos

New Around Here
Hi

I'm having trouble with a friend, they had a vpn setup by their telco company, and it was failing quite a lot, and also very expensive. We replaced it with a normal dsl connection and Linksys RVS4000 vpn routers. Internet access seems to be Ok, and VPN too, but sometimes things like the PBX fail to register even the VPN is up. I noticed they have unusual network settings, all network at one side is in the range 192.192.192.x and in the other office 192.192.193.x , i guess this might be the problem , but i would like to get a second opinion before chaning all IP's.

Another point i've seen is that the RVS4000 get very very hot, i updated them to the latest firmware v1.1.14, but even like this they get almost burning, and they act only as router and 1 vpn over a 2 mb dsl connection.

Regards

Hello,

Latest firmware for the RVS4000 is 1.2.11.
Mine are working perfectly well 24/7 since three weeks, tunnel is always available.
I have registration problem sometime using one of these Gigaset, but this is a common problem with these otherwise splendid Gigaset, and I run through the same problems via the LAN.
The two sides of the tunnel should be on different subnet to allow the router find the route.
Temperature is probably in the 40 centigrads range in the top of the box.
Rgds, Brice.

thanks

Thanks, i'll look to update firmware. Do you know if i have to reconfigure it after firmware update, or can I do it remotely ??

Regards

I think my firmware was not so old, but I didn't have to reconfigure anything afterward. By the way my configuration (dual dynamic IP's through dyndns) was not supported between 2 RVS4000 prior to 1.2.11 and so the tunnel was not working prior the update.
I went in so more trouble to setup the little gizmo with dual dyndns adresses that I have been obliged to do the setup via HTTPS, which gimme better way to setup the tunnel -and less mileage-.
I did the update locally, but I cannot see any reason not to be able to perform the operation remotely... if you're lucky enough, the update will be done, the router will reboot and you'll retrieve your connection through the tunnel. However once again, enabling administration via HTTPS during that process will increase your chances to get access remotely to the router if by the way the tunnel was not available anymore after the update... good luck, rgds, brice.

The firmware includes this note:

* Please reset the router to factory default settings after firmware upgrade. *

Next week i'm planning to go over the place and i'll update firmware, i'll post comments.

I'm still looking forward the issue if it's correct to work with the specified IP ranges (192.192.192.x and 192.192.193.x).

Regards

I'm still looking forward the issue if it's correct to work with the specified IP ranges (192.192.192.x and 192.192.193.x).

Technically, those numbers will work. Ideally you want to use the private IP range though (192.168.x.x or any of the class A or B ranges). The current numbers are part of the public world and in theory could be assigned to a website/company/bank/whatever. If that were to happen you would not be able to access those sites since your network will look internally and not externally. The odds of it happening are very slim. Still, your network looks like a fool set it up so expect razzing from anyone trying to help you in the future.

If you can change the networks I'd suggest for you to do it. That can be an awfully big hassle though. What static devices do you have (printers, servers, routers, waps, managed switches, etc)? Do you have AD syncing over the VPN? Do you have apps that access services (some of my clients have telnet apps that they access over a VPN)? If so they would need to be updated. Are most of the desktops DHCP? If so, that's a benefit i fnot, it's the time to implement a DHCP server. Weigh it out, razzing versus a normal network.

hi vegastech,

I already guessed that network setup was quite bad, another company setup their network and one of my technicians just changed their vpn routers, my idea was already to change the Ip range to A or B as I guess lot's of other problems they're getting there are from the same issues.

Regards