1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Linksys Velop Dual-Band Intelligent Mesh WiFi System Reviewed

Discussion in 'Wireless Article Discussions' started by thiggins, May 29, 2018.

1. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Linksys' takes a run at cheaper version of its Velop Mesh Wi-Fi System and comes up too short.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

2. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Regular Contributor

Hmm, I guess if a user used Ethernet backhaul with these, it would take away a lot of the performance issues. But I don't know if there would still be a more compelling offering in that price range.

3. gingerbeardman

gingerbeardman Regular Contributor

Can anybody confirm that it's possible to connect legacy WEP-only client devices to Velop? Specifically for Nintendo DS games.

4. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

If you could do this, which I doubt Velop or any mesh Wi-Fi system allows, your throughput would be limited to 802.11g rates in 2.4 GHz, i.e. 54 Mbps. Accessing N or AC requires supporting at least TKIP.

Not to mention that WEP keys are easily cracked.

5. gingerbeardman

I'm fine with all those negative/undesirable points in this particular instance. But thanks for your concern.

Original Nintendo DS games require B/G on 2.4Ghz with 20MHz channel bandwidth and WEP encryption.

So I'm looking for definitive information from an owner/user about whether Velop supports WEP. Screenshots in the original review this thread is about seem to indicate it does.

[​IMG]

6. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

7. gingerbeardman

Thanks.

But I'm playing on a DSi XL

8. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

DSi XL supports WPA2-Personal with AES - so that shouldn't be a problem... the old-school DS and DS Lite were WEP only, and there, my little one got an early upgrade to a DSi ;)

With Linksys SmartWiFi - for 2.4GHz, use B/G/N mode, rather than Mixed, and 20MHz channels are recommended there...

9. gingerbeardman

Sorry, I should have said: I'm playing a DS game on a DSi XL. I mentioned this in post #3.

In this scenario the game software dictates the Wi-Fi requirements: WEP only.

10. serious96

serious96 New Around Here

it's 2019 right now, i'm considering to buy velop dual band, is it still worth it?

11. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

Doesn't seem it was ever 'worth it'? See the first post.