What's new

Linksys Velop Dual-Band Intelligent Mesh WiFi System Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
linksys_velop_db_product.png
Linksys' takes a run at cheaper version of its Velop Mesh Wi-Fi System and comes up too short.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

Hmm, I guess if a user used Ethernet backhaul with these, it would take away a lot of the performance issues. But I don't know if there would still be a more compelling offering in that price range.

Can anybody confirm that it's possible to connect legacy WEP-only client devices to Velop? Specifically for Nintendo DS games.

Can anybody confirm that it's possible to connect legacy WEP-only client devices to Velop? Specifically for Nintendo DS games.
If you could do this, which I doubt Velop or any mesh Wi-Fi system allows, your throughput would be limited to 802.11g rates in 2.4 GHz, i.e. 54 Mbps. Accessing N or AC requires supporting at least TKIP.

Not to mention that WEP keys are easily cracked.

I'm fine with all those negative/undesirable points in this particular instance. But thanks for your concern.

Original Nintendo DS games require B/G on 2.4Ghz with 20MHz channel bandwidth and WEP encryption.

So I'm looking for definitive information from an owner/user about whether Velop supports WEP. Screenshots in the original review this thread is about seem to indicate it does.

linksys_velop_db_advanced-wireless.png

Thanks.

But I'm playing on a DSi XL

DSi XL supports WPA2-Personal with AES - so that shouldn't be a problem... the old-school DS and DS Lite were WEP only, and there, my little one got an early upgrade to a DSi ;)

With Linksys SmartWiFi - for 2.4GHz, use B/G/N mode, rather than Mixed, and 20MHz channels are recommended there...

Sorry, I should have said: I'm playing a DS game on a DSi XL. I mentioned this in post #3.

In this scenario the game software dictates the Wi-Fi requirements: WEP only.

it's 2019 right now, i'm considering to buy velop dual band, is it still worth it?

Doesn't seem it was ever 'worth it'? See the first post.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!