What's new

Linksys WRT1900AC First User Reports

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
Hi folks,

Please add your first experiences with Big Link here.

I just installed the WRT-1900

I can say right off, this router makes the ASUS 66 and 68 look like toys.
The build quality is very confidence inspiring....

Stopped at Best Buy this morning and they had loads of this beauty on the shelves and they were selling well. Hopefully have mine by mail some time this week.

Store pickup'ing from Best Buy in a few hours. I'm intending to have the wrt1900ac replace an RTN-56U router-only + WNDR4300 AP setup. Its ability (or lack of) to handle QOS for specific LAN ports will be a make-or-break moment. It seems QOS has been treated as just a 'feature' by companies lately and it never works like it should. I hope I can report back with good news.

I can't decide what to do, its too expensive to justify having it as a second router and I honestly don't think it will outperform my AC66u. I'll wait for the reviews. I grown used to the custom firmware Merlin provides and I am not sure I am willing to go back to the basic Smart Wifi firmware. Other than this the 1900AC looks like a beauty.

What I want to know is whether the -n range is comparable to an -n router. I have a 1st gen Netgear WNDR 3700 that I bought in 2009. When I went to replace it with an R68U, my kids started complaining that I had killed the Internet. I had to RMA the R68U and put back the WNDR.

Last edited:
Yeah if someone has this and can compare it to the R7000 or the 68U i would be interested. I had the asus and had issues then went to the r7000 and have issues. Would be really interested to see how the linksys compares. So far the netgear seems better than the asus but I have only had it a week so I can still exchange it for the linksys.

Yeah if someone has this and can compare it to the R7000 or the 68U i would be interested. I had the asus and had issues then went to the r7000 and have issues. Would be really interested to see how the linksys compares. So far the netgear seems better than the asus but I have only had it a week so I can still exchange it for the linksys.

I have the 68U and just picked up the WRT1900AC...
I'm actually surprised how well this device is put together.. It's a very
high quality device.. build wise... I love the LED's over the 68U..
I tested out USB and it works great.. only issue I had was I couldn't get the accounts/permissions.. seemed bugged out... everything else such as wireless etc is fast and stable... no crashes... the firmware is very lacking on features but that doesn't matter once we get some custom firmware going on this thing...

I had lots of issues with USB on my 68U interfering with Wifi... I also get a stronger signal with the WRT1900AC...

Be sure to tell us how the -n networking is. legacy devices like 2013 laptops and iPod/iPhones, stuff like that.

Also like to add...

Through my entire house I get a full signal(almost never gets above -50dbm) even on 5Ghz...
The best signal I get is -12dbm

I am also able to easily max out my internet connection (50down/5up)

I was testing with my Nexus 5 also with my Nexus 7

Also like to add...

Through my entire house I get a full signal(almost never gets above -50dbm) even on 5Ghz...
The best signal I get is -12dbm

I am also able to easily max out my internet connection (50down/5up)

I was testing with my Nexus 5 also with my Nexus 7

What are you using to determine -12dbm? I've never seen a signal that powerful. Not saying it can't happen...

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Setting up 5GHz Wireless, I noticed that there is no 80MHz under "Channel Width."

"Auto" and "20Mhz only" and "40MHz"are the only options available.

Am I missing something here since both the AC68U and the R7000 have 80Mhz options for 5GHz wireless?

Setting up 5GHz Wireless, I noticed that there is no 80MHz under "Channel Width."

"Auto" and "20Mhz only" and "40MHz"are the only options available.

Am I missing something here since both the AC68U and the R7000 have 80Mhz options for 5GHz wireless?

Set it Auto to get AC.

So? That doesn't mean there can't be discussion here.

No one said you can't do it here. Point is, people that did buy it aren't telling us anything here. On linkys forum there is already some user feedback from initial use.

Screenshots, customer service experience, newer firmware came out on Friday.. etc.

Here so far we got that its cool looking....

What I want to know is whether the -n range is comparable to an -n router. I have a 1st gen Netgear WNDR 3700 that I bought in 2009. When I went to replace it with an R68U, my kids started complaining that I had killed the Internet. I had to RMA the R68U and put back the WNDR.

sounds like my intial issue with my rt-ac66u. i had to disable 2.4 on it and use my d link for 2.4 for a long time untill i got stuff figured out. its so sad when you get a new router and a router from 2009 still outdoes it on the 2.4GHz band despite the higher spec. my dir-655 was 300 and the rt-ac66u was 450. i have been craving a r7000 or this wrt-1900ac to have much better 2.4 performance then my rt-ac66u. im already happy with my 5GHz performance.
( 2 houses down the street i got 40 down on iphone 5, i got 90 down on my friend macbook next door just the other day)

rt-ac66u 5GHz = amazing.
rt-ac66u 2.4GHz = .......facepalm

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!