1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

linux based NAS os'es

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Centrifuge, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Centrifuge

Centrifuge Regular Contributor

What are folks using, I got an unused computer around thinking of trying out something like Open Media Vault. Can I attach an external HD to it, what about speed, security etc. Any better methods, whats the consensus. Totally new to this type of diy project.

2. dosborne

dosborne Very Senior Member

FreeNAS is one of the most popular / better options, but many to choose from. I've heard good things about OMV too though. Many articles and comparisons to read that list the specific advantages one over another. Only YOU can determine which fits best with your knowledge / hardware / needs.

hervon likes this.
  3. hervon

hervon Regular Contributor

i'm on FreeNAS FTW for years.

4. Booboo22

Booboo22 Regular Contributor

OpenMediaVault has been great, using for about 5 years. it just works....

Centrifuge likes this.
  5. Centrifuge

Centrifuge Regular Contributor

What kind of setup do you have, a cpu attached to a router?

6. Booboo22

Booboo22 Regular Contributor

I use HP MicroServers as the NAS linux boxs as shown below. The HPs are AMD N40 dual core, low power 1.5Ghz CPUs, with 8GB of RAM. Each boots off SSD and has up to 4 SATA HDDs. GigE nic. The router is separate and out-of-scope for OMV.

[​IMG]

7. netware5

netware5 Very Senior Member

I would propose using XigmaNAS https://www.xigmanas.com/. This a modern version of the original FreeNAS (before it has been taken by iXsystems and forked). It is faster and more simplier to use than FreeNAS. It is less memory hungry than FreeNAS. And the XigmaNAS community and forums are much more friendly to newbies. I am using it since February 2017 on HP Microserver Gen8 without any problems.