What's new

Literally Every 5 Minutes - kernel: eth0 (Int switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 3) Link DOWN.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spbGK1

New Around Here
I have had the AC86U for less than a week. Every 5 minutes I have the same set of lines in my system log. I am running RMerlin 384.13_0. Faulty unit?

Feb 6 19:51:09 kernel: eth0 (Int switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 3) Link DOWN.
Feb 6 19:51:09 WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
Feb 6 19:51:09 DualWAN: skip single wan wan_led_control - WANRED off
Feb 6 19:51:09 nat: apply redirect rules
Feb 6 19:51:14 kernel: eth0 (Int switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 3) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
Feb 6 19:51:15 WAN_Connection: Ethernet link up.
Feb 6 19:51:15 rc_service: wanduck 732:notify_rc restart_wan_if 0
Feb 6 19:51:15 wsdd2[881]: error: wsdd-mcast-v4: wsd_send_soap_msg: send
Feb 6 19:51:17 wsdd2[881]: error: wsdd-mcast-v4: wsd_send_soap_msg: send
Feb 6 19:51:17 rc_service: udhcpc 30530:notify_rc start_firewall
Feb 6 19:51:17 wan: finish adding multi routes
Feb 6 19:51:17 miniupnpd[30159]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Feb 6 19:51:17 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)
Feb 6 19:51:17 miniupnpd[30591]: HTTP listening on port 55918
Feb 6 19:51:17 miniupnpd[30591]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
Feb 6 19:51:17 rc_service: udhcpc 30530:notify_rc stop_upnp
Feb 6 19:51:17 rc_service: udhcpc 30530:notify_rc start_upnp
Feb 6 19:51:17 rc_service: waitting "stop_upnp" via udhcpc ...
Feb 6 19:51:17 miniupnpd[30591]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Feb 6 19:51:18 miniupnpd[30664]: HTTP listening on port 39824
Feb 6 19:51:18 miniupnpd[30664]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
Feb 6 19:51:18 dhcp_client: bound [REMOVED WAN IP] via [REMOVED ISP IP] during 336302 seconds.
Feb 6 19:51:20 WAN_Connection: WAN was restored.

Try replacing the Ethernet cable between the modem and the router, as the link is physically going down. Also check for any sign that the modem might be crashing and rebooting.

Try replacing the Ethernet cable between the modem and the router, as the link is physically going down. Also check for any sign that the modem might be crashing and rebooting.

I did try a different cable between the Comcast Modem (xFi Advanced XB6) and the router. The problem persisted.

I watched the router. The WAN light goes out, turns red, and then white. I don't see any other signs that the router is restarting. All of the other lights stay lit.

Any reason this would happen every 5 minutes on the part of the router, or is this more likely an issue with Comcast's equipment?

These entries are repeated in my router's system log at exactly 5 minute intervals, all day long.

Feb 6 22:41:09 kernel: eth0 (Int switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 3) Link DOWN.
Feb 6 22:46:08 kernel: eth0 (Int switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 3) Link DOWN.
Feb 6 22:51:08 kernel: eth0 (Int switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 3) Link DOWN.
Feb 6 22:56:08 kernel: eth0 (Int switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 3) Link DOWN.
Feb 6 23:01:08 kernel: eth0 (Int switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 3) Link DOWN.

I watched the router. The WAN light goes out, turns red, and then white. I don't see any other signs that the router is restarting. All of the other lights stay lit.

Read again, I said to check for modem reboots, not router. If the WAN Ethernet link goes down, then it usually means the modem is rebooting.

Read again, I said to check for modem reboots, not router. If the WAN Ethernet link goes down, then it usually means the modem is rebooting.

Sorry about that. There is no visible sign that the modem is doing anything. The thing has one status light, and it stays on white through the entire process.

So something is causing the Ethernet link to go down between the two. Could be a port issue with either the modem or the router.

If you have a cheap network switch, try putting it between the router and the modem.

So something is causing the Ethernet link to go down between the two. Could be a port issue with either the modem or the router.

If you have a cheap network switch, try putting it between the router and the modem.

I put a switch in between the Modem and Router. The light for the modem goes out every 5 minutes.

I will get a replacement from Comcast.

I put a switch in between the Modem and Router. The light for the modem goes out every 5 minutes.

I will get a replacement from Comcast.
Before you get a replacement from Comcast try to fix it from the Comcast support website. I had the same issue on my home network modem. After sending a diagnostics signal to my modem (Arris CM8200A) the on-and-off problems disappeared.
Edit: You can check the modem config and firmware on 192.168.100.1. There you should also see an eventlog that might be of help.

Last edited:
I was able to resolve this by logging into my Comcast modem admin panel at 10.0.0.1. I factory reset the modem, went through the setup, put the modem back into bridge mode.. and the connection has had no hiccups for about 7 hours now.

I read in a few places that ISP gateways will usually look for the MAC address they were connected to when they were first put into bridge mode. This would have been the MAC of my Netgear R7000. When the gateway doesn’t find that MAC it freaks out a little. Hopefully there is truth to this, and the reset cleared the old router relationship.

Code:
WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.

This is happening to me constantly since updating to 384.15, I have ATT Fiber and I very highly doubt that in ALL the posts I've read, that EVERYONE's ethernet cables must suddenly be faulty.

This didn't start until I updated the firmware, and happened upon the "unbound" script and made all the necessary changes for it to be installed and operate properly.

Should I just format jffs and start again?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!