What's new

Live, manual, Rescue mode restoration not working to update firmware Asus RT-AX55

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Smasher7896

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to update my firmware without success since yesterday, I really don't understand how every single method doesn't work.

My router is currently running the factory fw version 3.0.0.4.386_45375
I recently noticed on the Asus' support page that my router had received quite a few firmware upgrades so I thought I would update the firmware.

On RT-AX55 support page it says that in order to upgrade to the latest firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.50460, I need first to upgrade the previous firmware 3.0.0.4.386.50224.
JNoO9SX.png

So I downloaded version 3.0.0.4.386.50224, unzipped, checked the MD5, everything checks out and follow the instructions here https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008000/
Method 1 never worked, so I tried the manual method which is pretty straightforward.
The strange thing is that when I upload the fw, the flashing process seems to work as the wifi switches off, the power LED blink for a few seconds and then all LEDs go off indicating that the router is rebooting.
It reboots, wifi comes back and internet as well. At this point I'm like it worked, my admin interface after the 3 min shows "completed" and I'm logged off of the admin console. I log back in and the firmware version didn't change!

This is so confusing, it seemed to have gone through the process, it rebooted and everything, no error message nothing and the firmware version didn't change, I can't explain it.

I tried an older firmware version as I thought that my current firmware version was too old or something but exact same behavior.

Then I decided to try the rescue mode method https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000814/

The process is pretty straightforward too
- connect my laptop to the router via an ethernet cable. I turn off my wifi and at this point, I have internet via ethernet.
- Download & Install Asus firmware restoration.
- Go to network & internet, change adapter options, select my ethernet connection, properties, [Internet Protocol Version 4] > properties and switch from assign IP automatically to "Use the following IP address"
IP: 192.168.1.10
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
ok and close the ethernet properties windows.
- I unplug the router's power cord. Press the reset button and enter rescue mode. I know I'm in rescue mode as the power LED is slowling blinking and the when I release the reset button, the router doesn't boot and remains in that state.
I launch Asus restoration tool, browse and select firmware 3.0.0.4.386.50224. and when I click on upload, it says invalid IP.

Then I figured that maybe the Ip address they provided wasn't the one I needed to use.
I rebooted my router into internet mode, I have internet back, I launched Asus Device Discovery to find the IP address of my router.

I restart the whole process but this time I assign the IP address that Asus Device Discovery provided me, boot into rescue mode, but again, Asus restoration tool says invalid IP. I cannot get my laptop to communicate with the router when in rescue mode.

The interesting thing is that I tried to use Asus restoration tool when the router was not in rescue mode (also switched back automatically assigned IP on Windows), and this time Asus restoration tool was able to make a connection and communicate with the router as it started thinking and then said the router is not in rescue mode.

I don't know what IP I should use to be able to communicate with my router when in rescue mode. I used the IP that is automatically assigned to my PC and it didn't work, I used 192.168.1.10 as per Asus' instruction and nothing worked.

The router is 1 month old, never tweaked it or installed any third-party firmware. It's been used normally, how is that possible that I cannot do a simple firmware update? I mean I would understand if I was tweaking and playing with unofficial firmware, but everything is stock.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Is there a solution?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to update my firmware without success since yesterday, I really don't understand how every single method doesn't work.

My router is currently running the factory fw version 3.0.0.4.386_45375
I recently noticed on the Asus' support page that my router had received quite a few firmware upgrades so I thought I would update the firmware.

On RT-AX55 support page it says that in order to upgrade to the latest firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.50460, I need first to upgrade the previous firmware 3.0.0.4.386.50224.
JNoO9SX.png

So I downloaded version 3.0.0.4.386.50224, unzipped, checked the MD5, everything checks out and follow the instructions here https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008000/
Method 1 never worked, so I tried the manual method which is pretty straightforward.
The strange thing is that when I upload the fw, the flashing process seems to work as the wifi switches off, the power LED blink for a few seconds and then all LEDs go off indicating that the router is rebooting.
It reboots, wifi comes back and internet as well. At this point I'm like it worked, my admin interface after the 3 min shows "completed" and I'm logged off of the admin console. I log back in and the firmware version didn't change!

This is so confusing, it seemed to have gone through the process, it rebooted and everything, no error message nothing and the firmware version didn't change, I can't explain it.

I tried an older firmware version as I thought that my current firmware version was too old or something but exact same behavior.

Then I decided to try the rescue mode method https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000814/

The process is pretty straightforward too
- connect my laptop to the router via an ethernet cable. I turn off my wifi and at this point, I have internet via ethernet.
- Download & Install Asus firmware restoration.
- Go to network & internet, change adapter options, select my ethernet connection, properties, [Internet Protocol Version 4] > properties and switch from assign IP automatically to "Use the following IP address"
IP: 192.168.1.10
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
ok and close the ethernet properties windows.
- I unplug the router's power cord. Press the reset button and enter rescue mode. I know I'm in rescue mode as the power LED is slowling blinking and the when I release the reset button, the router doesn't boot and remains in that state.
I launch Asus restoration tool, browse and select firmware 3.0.0.4.386.50224. and when I click on upload, it says invalid IP.

Then I figured that maybe the Ip address they provided wasn't the one I needed to use.
I rebooted my router into internet mode, I have internet back, I launched Asus Device Discovery to find the IP address of my router.

I restart the whole process but this time I assign the IP address that Asus Device Discovery provided me, boot into rescue mode, but again, Asus restoration tool says invalid IP. I cannot get my laptop to communicate with the router when in rescue mode.

The interesting thing is that I tried to use Asus restoration tool when the router was not in rescue mode (also switched back automatically assigned IP on Windows), and this time Asus restoration tool was able to make a connection and communicate with the router as it started thinking and then said the router is not in rescue mode.

I don't know what IP I should use to be able to communicate with my router when in rescue mode. I used the IP that is automatically assigned to my PC and it didn't work, I used 192.168.1.10 as per Asus' instruction and nothing worked.

The router is 1 month old, never tweaked it or installed any third-party firmware. It's been used normally, how is that possible that I cannot do a simple firmware update? I mean I would understand if I was tweaking and playing with unofficial firmware, but everything is stock.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Is there a solution?

Thanks in advance

See post #79 & #80 : https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...a-is-now-available-for-ac-models.82639/page-4

Other suggestions (if you haven't tried them already).
If you have a USB drive(s) attached to the router, remove them before trying to update the firmware.
Do a hard reset then try to update the firmware after a basic setup post reset.
Disconnect all other Ethernet cables leaving just the one wired PC you use to update the firmware.
Try a different wired computer.
Try a different web browser.
Temporarily disable any browser extensions/add-ons.
Temporarily disable any security/anti virus programs on the computer.
On the computer, configure a fixed IP address in the same IP range as the router.
Disconnect any upstream devices from the router's WAN port.

Thanks for your reply @John Fitzgerald

Things I have tried that I didn't mention in OP

- Full reset followed by basic setup of the router and immediately tried to upgrade.
- No USB port on this device
- Disconnected all the ethernet cables besides the one wired to the PC used to update

I didn't try a different, computer, browser or disabled extensions. I'm gonna try in incognito mode and a different computer.

Didn't quite understand the last suggestion. Is Bennor recommending to disconnect the ethernet cable from the router's WAN port?

Also with regards to the IP address, which one should I used?
192.168.1.10 (the one Asus recommends to use)
or the IP address I get with Asus Device discovery tool? I'd like to at least make sure I'm using the right IP address so I can focus on other variables

Thanks

Thanks for your reply @John Fitzgerald

Things I have tried that I didn't mention in OP

- Full reset followed by basic setup of the router and immediately tried to upgrade.
- No USB port on this device
- Disconnected all the ethernet cables besides the one wired to the PC used to update

I didn't try a different, computer, browser or disabled extensions. I'm gonna try in incognito mode and a different computer.

Didn't quite understand the last suggestion. Is Bennor recommending to disconnect the ethernet cable from the router's WAN port?

Also with regards to the IP address, which one should I used?
192.168.1.10 (the one Asus recommends to use)
or the IP address I get with Asus Device discovery tool? I'd like to at least make sure I'm using the right IP address so I can focus on other variables

Thanks

Was the router in "router" mode or AP or Mesh?

Yes unplug from modem. You should be able to flash as a standalone unconnected unit.

AX series IP: 192.168.50.1 , how is yours different?

Clear browser cache: Ctrl F5

Yes, as a troubleshooting step. If you have the router's WAN port connected to a modem, gateway, router, or ONT; disconnect the cable from the router's WAN port and manually update the firmware on the router without an internet connection. This will require one to have previously downloaded the firmware that will be used to update the router.

Generally the AX series routers default, post hard factory reset, to an IP address of 192.168.50.1. One may have to manually configure their wired computer IP address to the same IP subnet range. For example manually set the computer's IP address to 192.168.50.7 / 255.255.255.0. If you need to input a gateway IP address use 192.168.50.1 (the default AX series router IP address).

When in recovery mode (red reset held while powering on) the router's IP address should be 192.168.1.1 (point your web browser to http://192.168.1.1/) with the ethernet-connected computer at 192.168.1.something_else set manually.

Last edited:
If the attempted firmware flash using the normal GUI method seemed to have succeeded but ended up not actually "taking," simply do it again immediately. I'd only try the "recovery" method after the third-in-a-row "normal" method failure.

... flash 3.0.0.4.386.50224 first to get to 3.0.0.4.386.50460...
When you get the 50224 to boot, walk away for several minutes and let it do whatever it needs to do in terms of setup.

Then again, especially, when you get to the 50460. Possibly an MTD layout change or something which can take longer on these things than we're generally accustomed to these days.

I go out to the garage and have a smoke. 10 minutes ought to suffice. Would suck a little getting something wanky due to an impatient power cycle or something.

Was the router in "router" mode or AP or Mesh?

Yes unplug from modem. You should be able to flash as a standalone unconnected unit.

AX series IP: 192.168.50.1 , how is yours different?

Clear browser cache: Ctrl F5

- Yes router in Wireless Router mode / AiMesh Router mode (Default)
- Ok great, I did not unplug from modem, will try that.
- How's mine different?
I mentioned in OP that Asus recommends using 192.168.1.10. See here https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000814/
I also mentioned that on my 2nd attempt, I decided to use Asus Discovery Tool to see if it would give me the same IP address, turned out it gave me a different one: 192.168.50.1
So I've got 2 IPs and I just wanted to make sure I was using the correct one before further troubleshooting!
Based on your reply, I understand that 192.168.50.1 is the IP I should use, thanks.

Yes, as a troubleshooting step. If you have the router's WAN port connected to a modem, gateway, router, or ONT; disconnect the cable from the router's WAN port and manually update the firmware on the router without an internet connection. This will require one to have previously downloaded the firmware that will be used to update the router.

Generally the AX series routers default, post hard factory reset, to an IP address of 192.168.50.1. One may have to manually configure their wired computer IP address to the same IP subnet range. For example manually set the computer's IP address to 192.168.50.7 / 255.255.255.0. If you need to input a gateway IP address use 192.168.50.1 (the default AX series router IP address).
Hi @bennor, thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to answer and write a detailed answer.

Ok understood for the WAN port. Yesterday I actually wondered if I also should disconnect the ethernet cable from the WAN port. I had removed all the other ethernet cables from LAN ports, but I wasn't sure about the WAN port. Thanks for confirming, I will do unplug the ethernet cable from the router's WAN port at my next attempt.

Yes, I can confirm my router's default IP address (after hard reboot) is 192.168.50.1

iBZJRAU.png

For example manually set the computer's IP address to 192.168.50.7 / 255.255.255.0. If you need to input a gateway IP address use 192.168.50.1 (the default AX series router IP address).

Thanks for the clear explanation.
I note that you are recommending using an IP address within the same IP subnet range such as 192.168.50.7.
Does that mean that setting the computer's IP address to match the router's default IP, in our case, 192.168.50.1 is not the correct way?
Because that's what I initially did based on Asus' instructions. I wonder if this was the issue.

Lastly, just make sure I'm correctly configuring the computer's IP address. This is where I need to make the changes on the wired computer I'm using to update the router right?
S0k6QNM.png

Select "Use the following IP address:"
IP address: 192.168.50.7
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway (optional): 192.168.50.1

Switch the router to Rescue mode and attempt the update?

Am I missing anything?

Thank you so much for the help, really appreciate it. I will try after work

Quick update, I tried in rescue mode, WAN cable disconnected and I set computer IP address to 192.168.50.7 and I got the same invalid IP address. I tried 192.168.50.1 and again invalid IP address.

This was using another PC.

I figured I would try the Manual WEBGUI method again with another PC and browser and this time it worked!

Different variables were:

- Different PC
- Different browser
- And this time I used the HTTP protocol and not HTTPS. You know how when you try to access the WEBGUI, Asus displays a message saying that HTTP is not secure and that they recommend HTTPS? I selected no and stayed on the HTTP protocol and it worked ...

So now I'm on firwmare 50224 and I've got one more to go to the last 50460 version.

I let it do its thing as recommended, 15 min elapsed, I reboot the router and then attempt the fw upgrade.

This time though, when I try to go to the WEBGUI, it's no longer giving me the option to decline to use the HTTPS protocol, I'm forced to log in to the HTTPS WEBGUI. Incomprehensible. I cleared my cache, used another browser, I type http://192.168.50.1 and I get redirected to the https address. Why was I given a choice 20 min ago and now it's no longer allowing to use the HTTP version?

I've tried the upgrade twice via the HTTPS WEBGUI and it didn't work. I'm starting to think that you need to be using HTTP protocol to get it to work.

Does anyone know how I can log in the HTTP WEBGUI? I tried on other computers and I keep getting redirected to the HTTPS version

Does anyone know how I can log in the HTTP WEBGUI? I tried on other computers and I keep getting redirected to the HTTPS version
Administration > System > Local Access Config - set Authentication Method to http and Apply

Does that mean that setting the computer's IP address to match the router's default IP, in our case, 192.168.50.1 is not the correct way?
Because that's what I initially did based on Asus' instructions. I wonder if this was the issue.
What Asus instructions indicated you set the computer's IP address to the same IP address as the AX series router (192.168.50.1)?

You do not set the computer's IP address to the same IP address as the router. Each device's IP address should be unique and generally within the same IP address range. Using the same IP address as another client device typically causes IP address conflicts and possibly client name resolution issues.

As another poster indicated you set the Administration > System > Local Access Config > Authentication Method to HTTP. Make sure to select the Apply button at the bottom of the page to save your changes.
Local Access Config.jpg

- Yes router in Wireless Router mode / AiMesh Router mode (Default)
- Ok great, I did not unplug from modem, will try that.
- How's mine different?
I mentioned in OP that Asus recommends using 192.168.1.10. See here https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000814/
I also mentioned that on my 2nd attempt, I decided to use Asus Discovery Tool to see if it would give me the same IP address, turned out it gave me a different one: 192.168.50.1
So I've got 2 IPs and I just wanted to make sure I was using the correct one before further troubleshooting!
Based on your reply, I understand that 192.168.50.1 is the IP I should use, thanks.

It can't be both, it's one or the other: "Yes router in Wireless Router mode / AiMesh Router mode (Default)"

For E-Z flashing, hardware should be in "router mode" the "DEFAULT" is "ROUTER MODE"

For the AC series AC68U used as an example by ASUS, which you don't have: "I mentioned in OP that Asus recommends using 192.168.1.10. See here https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000814/"

You can't because it's reserved for the Router's own address: "I tried 192.168.50.1 and again invalid IP address."

Last edited:
Administration > System > Local Access Config - set Authentication Method to http and Apply
Sweet, switched to HTTP and it worked at my first attempt via WEBGUI.

In HTTP mode the 3 min progression bar appeared on my screen (which didn't in HTTPS).

It appears HTTPS was the reason why it wouldn't update.

I think before suggesting to people to try on another computer, browser, disconnect everything, hard reset, keep upgrading 3 times in a row even if it didn't work (repeating the exact same thing and hoping for a different outcome is not great troubleshooting), maybe recommending switching to HTTP as a first step would make more sense.

It can't be both, it's one or the other: "Yes router in Wireless Router mode / AiMesh Router mode (Default)"

M7aZVjl.png

Thanks everyone, my router is up to date.

I think before suggesting to people to try on another computer, browser, disconnect everything, hard reset, keep upgrading 3 times in a row even if it didn't work (repeating the exact same thing and hoping for a different outcome is not great troubleshooting), maybe recommending switching to HTTP as a first step would make more sense.
There are any number of reasons why a firmware flash may fail. The initial suggestions made are the general troubleshooting steps most often suggested for firmware update failure. Your case appeared to be an outlier due to apparently using HTTPS to connect to the router. It wasn't until your later post (#11) that you indicated you were using HTTPS and not HTTP to access your router. Which then led to the suggestion that appears to solve your issue.

There are any number of reasons why a firmware flash may fail. The initial suggestions made are the general troubleshooting steps most often suggested for firmware update failure. Your case appeared to be an outlier due to apparently using HTTPS to connect to the router. It wasn't until your later post (#11) that you indicated you were using HTTPS and not HTTP to access your router. Which then led to the suggestion that appears to solve your issue.

Last I knew, HTTP was the Default. Is that still the case???

Last I knew, HTTP was the Default. Is that still the case???
Same. Thought HTTP was default, particularly after doing a hard factory reset. Even the Quick Start guide for the RT-AX55 (for example on page 6) indicates using HTTP (http://router.asus.com) to initially access the GUI to setup the unit. (Shrugs)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!