What's new

Load Balancing Router + Multiple Switch + Asus Routers as AP & Win 10 Network Discovery Problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hellboy2703

New Around Here
Hello everyone, new member, but old visitor here.

I have a small business, having 10 Workstations and some WiFi devices connected.

Here is the current network Setup I have....
SmallNetBuilders-1.png

I am having problems with Windows 10 Network Discovery after "April 2018 Update".

Before that, it was intermittent problem, resetting Routers and Switches resolved the problem. and Windows 7 did not and currently does not have any problem.

But now, the problem is so much persistent that i had to reinstall windows 7 to some of the workstations to continue daily works.

The problem is the workstations PCs cannot see/find other workstations PCs in the network.
Even some PCs refuses to connect while addressed via IP address or PC names.

Please see the bellow screenshot, there is 3 more PCs in the network and A Thecus N2310 NAS, but none of them are showing in the Network Section.

SmallNetBuilders-2.png

brPeGVd

Yes, I know about multi NAT and DHCP Problem, that's why the "Tp-Link Load Balance Broadband Router TL-R470T+" is acting as the only router, and the Asus Routers are in Access Point mode and no wired devices are connected to the Access Points, only WiFi devices are connected to them.

Can some one help me understand what i am doing wrong?

Please help me resolve the issues.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
There was a recent discussion here about a similar problem with Windows 10. Part of the solution in that case was to re-enable the Function Discovery Provider Host service and the Function Discovery Resource Publication service and then set them to Automatic (delayed start).

i just read up on this, i solved this easily by configuring the windows 10 machines, something i always do whenever i install windows as theres a lot to optimise. Just like linux, you cannot just install and not configure. Since i configured my PCs i never had this problem, and i also had to defer the latest update as they were causing every PC to bluescreen.

Frankly speaking, before posting here i have already tried bellow fixes.

"SMB 1.0/CIFS Client",
"Function Discovery Provider Host service",
and the
"Function Discovery Resource Publication service",
"SSDP Discovery", etc.

But no results. That's why I posted the network topology, because I think there is something wrong with that.

I am no network expert, I might be wrong.

i just read up on this, i solved this easily by configuring the windows 10 machines, something i always do whenever i install windows as theres a lot to optimise. Just like linux, you cannot just install and not configure. Since i configured my PCs i never had this problem, and i also had to defer the latest update as they were causing every PC to bluescreen.

Which configuration are you talking about? Can you please share here?

Could this be related to a Win10 firewall issue. When you first install a Win10 PC on the network it asks if you want it to be discovered by other PCs on this network. You need to answer "yes".

I assume you can ping them so it is a Microsoft problem.

Frankly speaking, before posting here i have already tried bellow fixes.

"SMB 1.0/CIFS Client",
"Function Discovery Provider Host service",
and the
"Function Discovery Resource Publication service",
"SSDP Discovery", etc.

But no results. That's why I posted the network topology, because I think there is something wrong with that.

I am no network expert, I might be wrong.

Which configuration are you talking about? Can you please share here?
Could this be related to a Win10 firewall issue. When you first install a Win10 PC on the network it asks if you want it to be discovered by other PCs on this network. You need to answer "yes".

This is relevant as well.

I configure this first, i make sure that sharing is set up in a configured manner. Windows is emulating linux in that linux will not allow userless sharing, the least you can do in security is add guest manually to each share. It is a microsoft problem because trying to set a network to home/work is much harder than you think sometimes with the option being unavailable. Windows settings tend to be a mess when it comes to finding things but having the tradition of doing stuff since windows xp finding it is easy for me.

Have a list of everything that you configure after a fresh install. If doing a business and you have wifi, put that on your list to only connect to your own wifi networks.

Also mikrotik has long had many options in DHCP, so many options, like WINS server, TFTP as well, so it is helpful to have this configured in your router too. Your router can be a powerful tool if used right and this is something that your router, and the cisco RV is missing out. The ASUS however does a better job, it may not be great at load balancing though and the options i mentioned may need to be set up in the linux part of the router, but its not impossible. The best load balancer is peplink actually and they include support.

The way windows works is that it might be doing away with p2p based shares, and more of centralised managed shares (its the market, trying to push winserver features).

Yes i did click on "Yes".

Anyway, I might have solved the problem partially.

I have set these services "Automatic" and restarted the PC.
"Function Discovery Provider Host"
"Function Discovery Resource Publication"
"SSDP Discovery"
"TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper".

Also enabled "SMB 1.0", via Control Panel > Programs & Features > Turn Windows features on or off. Then restarted the PC.

Also run these commands in "Command Prompt (administrator)"
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns

And restarted the PC.

Now PCs are showing in the network browser.

Update:

I might have spoke too soon.... its not working on the other PC.

Last edited:
Also mikrotik has long had many options in DHCP, so many options, like WINS server, TFTP as well, so it is helpful to have this configured in your router too. Your router can be a powerful tool if used right and this is something that your router, and the cisco RV is missing out.

The RV340 router has no problem with DHCP options. You just have not used a Cisco router. The RV320 router covers it also. I know my RV180 did because I ran a WINS server back then. SO I have gone back 12 years so how far back are you talking. Assigning a TFTP server is not a problem either.

The RV340 router has no problem with DHCP options. You just have not used a Cisco router. The RV320 router covers it also. I know my RV180 did because I ran a WINS server back then. SO I have gone back 12 years so how far back are you talking. Assigning a TFTP server is not a problem either.
thats good, i guess cisco does go the extra mile but that platform is very outdated, even ubiquiti switched to a newer CPU version too. I still dont approve of the cisco RV :p never will, but its probably the best of a bad bunch of routers using the same platform with the exception of ubiquiti.

You have to remember Cisco makes a Pro line of high end gear with real IOS. They are not going to build a router that competes with their high end for cheap money. The thing about buying Cisco is they understand routing and security. Cisco is not going to put out crappy products. There is a lot of knowledge behind their products.

Yes i did click on "Yes".

Anyway, I might have solved the problem partially.

I have set these services "Automatic" and restarted the PC.
"Function Discovery Provider Host"
"Function Discovery Resource Publication"
"SSDP Discovery"
"TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper".

Also enabled "SMB 1.0", via Control Panel > Programs & Features > Turn Windows features on or off. Then restarted the PC.

Also run these commands in "Command Prompt (administrator)"
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns

And restarted the PC.

Now PCs are showing in the network browser.

Update:

I might have spoke too soon.... its not working on the other PC.

Do you have NetBIOS over TCP/IP checked on these PCs. Microsoft PCs networking uses NetBIOS. NetBIOS only runs within 1 network. That is why Microsoft invented WINS to help running Microsoft on multiple networks.

I would assume the "TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper" is to allow Microsoft access to devices on other networks. So I would think the NetBIOS Helper is some kind of bridge between networks. To me it would only help if you are running the PC as a router.

I think I am not helping much so I shall refrain from posting more.

You have to remember Cisco makes a Pro line of high end gear with real IOS. They are not going to build a router that competes with their high end for cheap money. The thing about buying Cisco is they understand routing and security. Cisco is not going to put out crappy products. There is a lot of knowledge behind their products.
The main problem is their pricing and licensing, their Pro line has crazy licenses, even mikrotik did away with such licenses.

I would disagree about cisco not putting out crappy products, just look at the various amount of complaints a few years ago for the cisco RV. I would not call the cisco RV cheap, because the hardware and price, including software dont match. Ubiquiti can put in a better SoC variant into their routers and its a lot better too for less money. Infact i do like ubiquiti's GUI as well even though a lot of functionality isnt exposed there.

I think Unbiquit's hardware is newer but I think Cisco's software is more advanced. A lot of Cisco complaints are operator errors. People just don't understand advanced networking so they make mistakes.

The way Cisco works and this is true for the their pro line as well as their small business line is when hardware is first introduced there are software bugs. But Cisco fixes them along the way. And about the time they have the hardware and software working they introduce new hardware. Cisco's pro line software does cost a lot and is not intended for small networks this forum addresses. The only reason I don't run it is it costs too much. I don't get free Cisco software any more.

I paid $151 for my RV340 router buying it from a Cisco partner so you get warranty on the product. I feel like this is cheap for gig router which has features you can use and not slow it down.

I think Unbiquit's hardware is newer but I think Cisco's software is more advanced. A lot of Cisco complaints are operator errors. People just don't understand advanced networking so they make mistakes.

The way Cisco works and this is true for the their pro line as well as their small business line is when hardware is first introduced there are software bugs. But Cisco fixes them along the way. And about the time they have the hardware and software working they introduce new hardware. Cisco's pro line software does cost a lot and is not intended for small networks this forum addresses. The only reason I don't run it is it costs too much. I don't get free Cisco software any more.

I paid $151 for my RV340 router buying it from a Cisco partner so you get warranty on the product. I feel like this is cheap for gig router which has features you can use and not slow it down.
Thats the problem with cisco, not free software for their pro line, and if you're getting certified, it costs a lot of money as you have to actually purchase their services and software on their cloud platform. The high cost of getting cisco certified only makes their distributors more expensive as well which is why cisco is actually losing out in smaller areas. I still dislike the cisco RV though and its not operator error, a lot of time i find that its the bugs or some unsupported feature that consumer routers support.

VPN is just an example when it comes to the cisco RV, cisco is trying to push a paid license/service just for VPN in the cisco RV line. While Ubiquiti's ad down playing cisco is inaccurate as ubiquiti does not compare to the pro cisco showed in their ad video early on for their edgerouters, they still do better than cisco for the intended target. Both ubiquiti edgerouters and cisco have NAT acceleration and also with firewall rules are still accelerated. Both lose their accelerations for QoS.

The only time i'd ever consider a cisco RV is if the skill level is low and its a choice between a tplink, dlink and such, and a cisco RV, but not asus. I still consider Asus to be better than the cisco RV.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!