What's new

Load balancing slow browsing DSL-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Juzam

New Around Here
Hello to all.

I have 2 different VDSL connections from two different ISPs in my house. Both are around 25-30 mbits/s. I have setup my DSL-AC68U as dual wan at load balancing mode with 1/1.

Everything is working great. I have good download speeds at around 50 mbits/s and I am happy. But internet browsing has become much worse. Pages take 10-15 seconds to load. If I don't refresh immediately, I'm just waiting for the router to make up it's own mind. Every link I click has this annoying delay. What seems to be the problem? Thank you.

Load Balancing doesn't combine the speed of ISPs. No idea how you test 50Mbps with 25-30Mbps ISPs. Torrents or multi-server speed tests, perhaps. Single connections are limited to the speed of one ISP only. Try assigning specific devices to different ISP. It will still improve throughput to multiple devices and may eliminate the delay you are experiencing on a single device. Asuswrt Dual WAN is not very reliable, test what works best for you.

Load Balancing doesn't combine the speed of ISPs. No idea how you test 50Mbps with 25-30Mbps ISPs. Torrents or multi-server speed tests, perhaps. Single connections are limited to the speed of one ISP only. Try assigning specific devices to different ISP. It will still improve throughput to multiple devices and may eliminate the delay you are experiencing on a single device. Asuswrt Dual WAN is not very reliable, test what works best for you.
Everything is a multi connection nowadays. Not just torrents. I can download games from their clients and windows updates at 50 Mbps. For everything else I use FDM which also uses multiple connections. It's the single connections I'm having problems with. Right now I'm having to click twice to post this reply and it's annoying. No problem on the machines I've assigned a single WAN. But their download speeds are halved obviously. I've pre-ordered a DSL-AX82U and I have high hopes that it's smarter in it's implementation.

Have you looked at your DNS settings? Could it be that the 2 providers are broadcasting their own (different) DNS servers which causes a conflict? Just a thought.

Screenshot 2021-04-22 042107.jpg

Well I've tried and I got this

Well I've done it:
Screenshot 2021-04-22 042929.jpg

Still same. Did I do it correctly ? How can I check it ? Do I need to do anything else like rebooting the router ?

How can I check it ?
From what you've said it should be immediately obvious whether it's solved your problem or not. Personally I don't believe entering that command will have any effect whatsoever.

That being said, I've now forced the DHCP server on the DSL-AC68U to assign automatic IPs only to a certain range (since everything in the house experienced this initial connection delay problem) and those IPs to use only the primary wan. Only my gaming PC now uses secondary WAN and only my home server uses both WANs.

Home server getting 51 Mbits/s (ex. 5.1MB/s steam download), non responding pages, browsing web is problematic.
Gaming PC is getting around 31 Mbits/s, no problems.
Everything else getting around 24 Mbits/s, no problems.

Is there a way to force firefox to use one of the WANs only ? If I figure that out, I'm gold.

DSL-AX82U arrived today and I can say that it's much much better than 68U on it's load balancing implementation. It's still not as perfectly as smooth as using single WAN but it's close. Delay when browsing is still there, around 3 to 5 seconds. But I now don't have to click every link 10 times and I do not need to refresh the webpage. It eventually loads.

ASUS Turkey has been running a replacement deal on the AX82U and I had to send my 88U to get a huge discount from them but I'm sending my friend's 68U along with mine also to get a 82U and I will replace the second WAN's modem with an 68U too, or maybe even a second 82U. Hopefully it will make things even smoother.