What's new

Load RT-AC68U firmware on model DSL-AC68U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

csalsa

Occasional Visitor
I have an ASUS DSL-AC68U modem router and I now am changing over my Internet connection from ADSL 2+ to FttP (Fiber to the Premise).

In doing so, I no longer need the ADSL 2+ modem function of the DSL-AC68U router and I wish to know if I can upload and use the firmware intended for its sister model RT-AC68U. I have often wanted to use the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware but the DSL-xx models are not supported.

Is this feasible? Will it work?

You would have to put it in a router only mode.

Perfectly fine with me. I did not know if there were hardware component differences between the models and thus my question. Thanks.

I see that ASUS has released the new feature AiMesh https://www.asus.com/aimesh/. Another reason to want to use a current firmware version (besides the obvious one of security fixes).

The main difference is the modem, where as the RT units don't have a dsl modem built-in thier router only.

This has been asked a few times before (search the forums). IIRC some people managed to get it to work and others had problems. The bottom line is that it's not supported hardware, but you can try it at your own risk. Just don't expect any support if you have problems.

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses.
Yes Colin. I should have done a better job searching older posts. :)

I have an ASUS DSL-AC68U modem router and I now am changing over my Internet connection from ADSL 2+ to FttP (Fiber to the Premise).

In doing so, I no longer need the ADSL 2+ modem function of the DSL-AC68U router and I wish to know if I can upload and use the firmware intended for its sister model RT-AC68U. I have often wanted to use the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware but the DSL-xx models are not supported.

Hi
I've been testing the rmerlin firmware on my dls for months. Some problems exist, but the software works well anyway. I recommend the stable version (380.69). If you want to do some tests, look for the version of HGG (Hugo Gomes) is a fork of rmelin but it also exists for our dsl :D.
Unfortunately the developer has disappeared "from the radar" but his version is really beautiful.

Hi, I was trying to use a DSL-AC68U as an aimesh node. Since the DSL variant does not support aimesh (yet) I loaded the RT firmware on to it using the ASUS recovery tool. Once you can get the tool connected to the router it is a painless process.

Sadly it didn’t enable the aimesh features since the router product code remains DSL-AC68U, so is not found by the aimesh router :(

The other strange issue is the 5G radio light does not work.. despite the 5G radio being on and working fine.

Hope this stops somebody wasting their time trying this for aimesh support.. which I hear is coming on 27th June 2018 anyway :)

DSL will get AiMesh end of June (maybe one or more weeks late) but they promised to do with next release for DSL-AC68U, not sure for DLS-AC88U but you still can hope.

I managed to get it working!! I had to do some additional steps to change the product I’d of the router.. and boom my DSL is now an RT with working aimesh

After Asus released the Aimesh firmware for DSL-AC68U, I came to realize that they may never add the node function seeing as how they never added any other operational mode for this modem. With the help of @Gringosteve I took the plunge and converted mine to a RT as well. Despite the complexity of the instruction, the process was rather painless. Now my RT is acting as an Aimesh node to my RT-AC5300 modem. Everything just works and it's been stable for 3 days. Well, everything except for the 5Ghz light that is......

Glad you got it working, although I cannot take credit as I used portions of other people’s work and stitched them together :)

Did you do the final item to make sure firmware upgrades work? I didn’t do a bit worried about performing an upgrade.
Mine is still working fine, no loss in connectivity

No I didn't. I'm a bit hesitant as it seems to be an irreversible step (correct me if I am wrong here). The only upside as I see it is the ability to update firmware from the Aimesh router. As it is, updating the firmware via recovery mode is pretty easy anyways. I like having the option to go back to DSL-AC68U one day if Asus ever decide to add node function to their official firmware.

Can you use it as Aimesh node with LAN backhaul now or only via WiFi as there is no WAN-port where you could connect the parent mesh-router to?

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't tried but believe the DSL supported a LAN port being treated as WAN....unsure what can be done when the device thinks it is an RT

I haven't tried but believe the DSL supported a LAN port being treated as WAN....unsure what can be done when the device thinks it is an RT
Thats why I am asking, dont think with RT-CFE it will still act in this way and so would be impossible with WAN-backhaul.

Someone else tested this?

In the RT admin screens, you can set the secondary WAN port to be one of the LAN ports so the hardware and firmware can support it. But whether it is clever enough to work that out on its own when it is freshly reset and ready to be a node....will need someone to test. I don't have a third router lying about to try it with.

All ethernet ports and DSL port appears to be fried / dead. Is there any way to flash Merlin over WiFi which still works on my DSL-AC68U? If I could manage to use AP/repeater mode, I could perhaps still make some use of it...

Also, before I trash DSL-AC68U, I noticed the support for AiMesh has been added. Let's say I buy RT-AC68U and would like to use DSL-AC68U in AiMesh mode (as an AP) - would that work or not really, since there is no AP mode?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!