What's new

Local Devices Getting DHCP from remote VPN routers.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Russell Bantin

New Around Here
We have setup a VPN (OpenVPN/ASUSWRT) with our ASUS 86 routers in 3 locations. Randomly our local devices will grab and route through a remote VPN network.

Home - 192.168.50.1
Shop - 192.168.60.1
Office - 192.168.70.1

example: My personal PC at home (50) will start running slow internet. I check the IP and it has grabbed a shop (60) IP.

example: My personal PC at home (50) will start running slow internet. I check the IP and it has grabbed a shop (60) IP.
This should not be possible unless you have setup your VPN as bridged connections (TAP) and/or have overlapping subnets, i.e. the netmask is wrong.

Not really familiar with VPN too much... might have set something wrong. Have a business and serve it from home with the main database

Set your server (and client) to use TUN instead of TAP.

This should not be possible unless you have setup your VPN as bridged connections (TAP) and/or have overlapping subnets, i.e. the netmask is wrong.
I'm a noob at this. I couldn't get the TUN to work. Not sure what settings I should have maybe? I attached a screenshot of my advanced settings on the vpn server.

Attachments

• vpn.png
    vpn.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 98
I'm a noob at this. I couldn't get the TUN to work. Not sure what settings I should have maybe? I attached a screenshot of my advanced settings on the vpn server.
As RMerlin said, you should be using TUN otherwise you will experience exactly this kind of problem. LAN to LAN connections over TUN can be complicated to setup and make work reliably. You really need to know what you're doing when you set them up.

We don't know anything about your current network design or the requirements of any applications, databases, servers, etc. so there's probably very little specific advice we can give.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!