What's new

Local network Bridge Mode - PC client disconnecting

• Thread starter Deleted member 62525
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted member 62525

I am using latest firmware 386.1 on my RT86U. Asus RT86U is my main router and I have added Netgear R7000 as bridge for my wife's mini-pc connected directly to R7000 port and using static IP. The mini PC (beelink T34) network performance has definitely improved. My wife is working remote and using WIN10 remote desktop. Since I made this new addition of the bridge, every 30 minutes she gets kicked out of remote desktop session. I checked the logs on RT86U and can see that it corresponds to these messages. Not sure if it is related.

wlceventd_proc_event(526): eth6: Auth 84:39:BE:9D:1B:DB, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 19 09:28:02 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(555): eth6: Assoc 84:39:BE:9D:1B:DB, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 19 09:28:03 wlceventd:

Another interesting fact is that if I switch the mini PC to use RT86U WiFi directly everything works fine. Do I need to tune/change some settings under professional tab to make it work with the R7000 Bridge? If anyone has suggestions or have had that issue I would appreciate any pointers since I am running out of options. WIN 10 has been updated recently to latest version.

And what firmware is running on the R7000? OEM or perhaps Merlin? If it's the latter, it's NOT supported (and perhaps, at least according to Merlin himself, illegal).

I don't care *personally*, but the firmware being used might be relevant to the problem, so I don't want to find out later and have the hammer come down on the discussion.

Last edited:
If this is the only device that is having the disconnection problem then might be better moving this question to the Netgear sub-forum.

And what firmware is running on the R7000? OEM or perhaps Merlin? If it's the latter, it's NOT supported (and perhaps, at least according to Merlin himself, illegal).

I don't care *personally*, but the firmware being used might be relevant, so I don't want to find out later and have the hammer come down on the discussion.

R7000 is running Netgear latest firmware.

I agree w/ @ColinTaylor then, given his qualification, it seems likely to be a problem w/ the Netgear.

Just curious, is this a 2.4GHz or 5GHz wireless bridge? Does it make a difference?

Someone posted the same issue on Netgear forum. I will try downgrading R7000 firmware to 1.00.110 and try it again this weekend. It’s funny since I also have Sonytv connected directly to R7000 and I dont see the same messages for this device. It maybe the win10 driver issues.
will find out this weekend after more digging.

After long investigation this is what I was able to find out.

The win10 PC is connected directly to RT-AC86U WiFi with static IP outside of router DHCP pool.
When I make a change on the router eg: remove guest wifi it forces the router to restart DHCP. At that moment I see dnsmasq-dhcp messages. At that precise time the PC looses Remote Desktop connection.
This is interesting since Remote Desktop is bound to static IP and I would imagine that this should not be happening, but it does.

Overall it has nothing to do with the bridge but rather the firmware. Why is the router braking the connection?
This is a question I don't have the answer for.

After long investigation this is what I was able to find out.

The win10 PC is connected directly to RT-AC86U WiFi with static IP outside of router DHCP pool.
When I make a change on the router eg: remove guest wifi it forces the router to restart DHCP. At that moment I see dnsmasq-dhcp messages. At that precise time the PC looses Remote Desktop connection.
This is interesting since Remote Desktop is bound to static IP and I would imagine that this should not be happening, but it does.

Overall it has nothing to do with the bridge but rather the firmware. Why is the router braking the connection?
This is a question I don't have the answer for.

My guess? When you change the guest wifi, it restarts *all* wifi, irrespective of whether any given client was configured statically or via DHCP. IOW, I think you're attributing it to the wrong thing. You see the change in DHCP behavior then assume that's all that's happening, when I suspect it's not. But again, it's just an educated guess.

Indeed. It depends on what "change on the router" you are making, but generally if you're making changes to the LAN topology (so that includes WiFi) the entire LAN phys layer is restarted. This is intentional.

Thankx guys for explaining. I did not know that. I will keep watching if that PC and Remote Desktop connections will fail and when. I asked my wife to keep track of the times she gets kicked out to help me investigate.

Which gets to a finer point. It's not normal to be enabling/disabling wifi, starting/stopping VPN clients and servers, DNSMasq (if only indirectly), etc., at your whim. The fact the GUI allows you to do this gives the false impression that there are no unintended consequences or undesirable side-effects. Yes, here and there you might be able to make minor changes that *hopefully* don't break things, but that's always a bit of a gamble. Again, that's NOT really what the router is about. Like any networking infrastructure device, you're expected to configure it to your liking, reboot, then leave it alone.

I don’t unless I have some weird things happening with the client like in this case.
meed to find out what is causing it. It’s important since we both work from home remote.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!