What's new

Solved Local NTP Support - Round 2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lokester

Occasional Visitor
Just swapped out a RT-N16 router with a RT-AC68U at a location that does not have any internet. Upon initial boot of the AC68U, it does not synch with my local NTP server running on a Raspberry PI with RTC even though I have the IP address of the RPi in the NTP Server fields on the AC68U. On the "System Log" page, it shows a default date of "May 2001". That said, I can go back to the Admin->System page where the NTP Server fields are and click "Apply" and then the router synchs to the local NTP server. I am running Merlin 386.3 FW

Not sure if this issue is related to similar issue I had on the RT-N16 which was resolved with the great support on this forum (link below):

ntp doesn't work with AC86u and merlin 384.19

Sorry, having issues pasting the entire hyperlink of the referenced thread as when I paste it, only the thread title shows up. But if you search for that title and read it, John had me do a NVRAM tweak and then he made a slight change in the code on his side. Not sure that is needed in my new case, maybe I can just add a script that will simulate hitting the "apply" button after the router finishes the boot up process.

Any ideas of how best resolve my issue?

You can install John‘s fork on the AC68U and have the same feature back. That’s the obvious easy way to something you know will work.

Had not thought of that, but don't think John's fork supports Aimesh which is why I went to the AC68.

Back in the previous thread, Colin Taylor also suggested adding a services-start script. The commands below should setup the script.
Code:
cat <<EOF >/jffs/scripts/services-start
#!/bin/sh

service start_ntpc
EOF
chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/services-start
nvram set jffs2_scripts=1
nvram commit

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!