What's new

Log Errors - LetsEncrypt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That's the side effect of trying to use Let's Encrypt with a DDNS domain. Let's Encrypt throttles the number of new certificates as well as the number of failed validation for a specific domain, so quite often trying to register an hostname belonging to a DDNS domain will be random luck.

too many failed authorizations recently

Thanks! So basically nothing to worry about and will probably resolve itself eventually.

Is this just to provide a validation certificate around the domain anyway.. VPN is working fine and that's all I needed.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thanks! So basically nothing to worry about and will probably resolve itself eventually.

Is this just to provide a validation certificate around the domain anyway.. VPN is working fine and that's all I needed.

Yes, that is strictly to provide a recognized certificate to the webui. You could also either use the self-signed certificate (and deal with the security alert), or create your own CA + signed certificate and deploy it within your LAN, which is what I've done personally. Certificates are valid for 10 years, and I can cover everything within my LAN.

See https://www.snbforums.com/threads/tool-to-manage-your-own-certificate-authority.45062/ for more details.

So it's not really needed then..

Internally though I would prefer to use HTTPS, and when I enable this I lose the web GUI so I'll need to look in to that, may be a certificate issue.

My log is overwhelmed with these error so I have disabled it. I'm not sure why I would need it anyway?

Can I still enable HTTPS on the Web gui? I just use VPN for remote access (I would never leave a remote access port open!).

Can I still enable HTTPS on the Web gui?

Yes, just set it to "persistent" instead of "Let's Encrypt". The router will generate its own self-signed certificate.

I just use VPN for remote access

This is completely unrelated to VPN. That certificate is for the webui, not for VPN.

Thanks.. So the certificate would have been used for external access then except that's disabled.

So it won't make any difference apart from persistent browser errors.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!