What's new

uiScribe Log Goes Here

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CaptnDanLKW

I had a odd issue with my RT-AC86U running 384.19 a few weeks back. I only run scribe, scmerlin and conmon. I had not checked the router for a few weeks and when I decided to log in and take a look at the logs, the web interface reverted back to the standard syslog view. In summary, after SSH in, everything in amtm kept saying 'entware not installed'. But it was, the paths were right, everything was mounted. I finally just let it install entware over itself and things were back to normal. but nope.

Fast forward a few more weeks, looking at the logs again, now logrotate, syslog-ng and wlceventd panes all say 'Log goes here'.

Scribe and scribeUi check out (from amtm) as no problems.

If I force a restart of scribe two things happen
1) it temporarily fixes the issue
2) messages is cleared, not rotated and they are lost

Wondering what the best course of action is...

I think uiScribe lives entirely in jffs and isn't dependent on entware at all (not entirely sure), but scribe and the logs are entirely dependent on entware and the USB drive. So uiScribe can load up even if syslog-ng isn't running. Running or not, the "log goes here" message displays when uiScribe can't find that log on the drive.

My suspicion is that the USB drive is going bad. You might run a disk check on it.

You might also start syslog-ng in the foreground of a terminal session by running "syslog-ng -Fevd". That gives you more extensive diagnostics about whether it loads and processes messages.

Scribe in its native implementation never overwrites messages and doesn't rotate logs itself. That your messages file has disappeared is a sign that something about the USB drive is a problem.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!