What's new

Logging packets

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

przemekwawa

Regular Contributor
Hi,
I didn't find nothing about possibilities to log packets between devices in LAN (except entware+tcpdump).
I have Synology NAS at home and something is from time to time (e.g. every hour or something like that) waking it up from hibernation. After disconnecting LAN cable everything was fine.
So I need to log connections to NAS - time+protocol/port+IP probably would be enough. But at these moment I would like not to install tcpdump there...
Is there any simple possibility?

I forgot to write: I have rt-ac66u with Merlin firmware installed:)

Hi,
I didn't find nothing about possibilities to log packets between devices in LAN (except entware+tcpdump).
I have Synology NAS at home and something is from time to time (e.g. every hour or something like that) waking it up from hibernation. After disconnecting LAN cable everything was fine.
So I need to log connections to NAS - time+protocol/port+IP probably would be enough. But at these moment I would like not to install tcpdump there...
Is there any simple possibility?

I forgot to write: I have rt-ac66u with Merlin firmware installed:)

Tcp dump works well. If not you will need a managed switch with span port to a machine running wire shark

LAN 2 LAN packet capture might not be possible since the traffic passes through a switch.

It does not sound good... mobileman88, have you tried to dump packets between LAN ports? or between wifi and lan ports?
I don't have now managed span port that I could use.. I will look, maybe I have somewhere old 10mbit hub:) and will connect to that machine with tcpdump/wireshark...
RMerlin, I don't know the architecture of this router, but tcpdump schould have access to all packets that are sent to ethernet port. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
RMerlin, I don't know the architecture of this router, but tcpdump schould have access to all packets that are sent to ethernet port. Am I wrong?

Only when they travel through the networking stack. Switch traffic doesn't.

I could be wrong however as I haven't personally tested it, but that's the theory.

Ok, I found at work some cisco 2950. In next few days I will test it with span port...
Thanks for help and information about tcpdump.