What's new

Logical upgrade to go from AC86U to AXE11000? Change my mind! ;)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Almost all entry/mid-level Asus routers are version of RT-AX58U. All high-end routers are version of GT-AX6000. The two models came first and were "multiplied" by the marketing. Some have alien shape, others look like a vase, spiders are here to stay, some show RGB lights. Some have 2 radios, others have more. Some have features locked or missing, positioned by the marketing somewhere in between. Pick your poison.

I just changed my router and asked myself more or less the same questions as you.

In my opinion, the ideal futureproof router has the following specifications: 10Gb SFP+, 10Gb Wan/Lan, 4x 2.5Gb, Wifi 6e, VPN Fusion Wireguard, all in an acceptable design and for a compact size and all for less than 300$.

This router doesn't exist yet and that's why I recommend you to be reasonable and do like me, get an AX86U.

I know that the GT-AX6000 has many advantages, but it has for me a very big flaw: it is ugly and huge.

GT-AX6000 is a great router, its just not a $300 "upgrade" from an from an AC86U... I rather wire backhaul 2x AC86u for less money. My2c. (Same goes for the higher end/triband stuff).

IF you want to futureproof and or need 2.5G support, by all means.

LoS performance on GT-AX6000 is a lot better (if not the best on the market), but its not great through (my) walls. I returned mine because it barely did better than my GT-AC2900 (AC86U platform) @ 30FT distance (through walls).

I'm hoping ASUS revises the Qualcomm based AX89X with the newer gen 2 QCA radios and or the original model goes EOL and I grab it on discount :) 8x8 @ 80mhz... Should be better through walls.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just changed my router and asked myself more or less the same questions as you.

In my opinion, the ideal futureproof router has the following specifications: 10Gb SFP+, 10Gb Wan/Lan, 4x 2.5Gb, Wifi 6e, VPN Fusion Wireguard, all in an acceptable design and for a compact size and all for less than 300$.

This router doesn't exist yet and that's why I recommend you to be reasonable and do like me, get an AX86U.

I know that the GT-AX6000 has many advantages, but it has for me a very big flaw: it is ugly and huge.
Think this may be the 'best' alternative you'll get at the moment...

Think this may be the 'best' alternative you'll get at the moment...

Yes, it seems to be very good on paper, but I don't really trust TP-Link. This model has mixed review on amazon and I'm not a beta tester.

I just ordered a GT-AX6000 to see how I can handle its design in my living room and how it compares to the AX86U.

The fantasy of the perfect 10Gb router is not reasonable anyway. Even if I have a 10Gb fiber connection, I'm not sure I need that much speed. Especially since most of my machines are on Wifi 6.

Even if I have a 10Gb fiber connection, I'm not sure I need that much speed. Especially since most of my machines are on Wifi 6.

Awe, come on... take a wild guess! :)

OE

GT-AX6000 is a great router, its just not a $300 "upgrade" from an from an AC86U... I rather wire backhaul 2x AC86u for less money. My2c. (Same goes for the higher end/triband stuff).
In my environment, AC86U upgraded to GT-AX6000 has been a worthy investment, since I skipped the AX86.
Living Christmas Bonus to Christmas Bonus so I'm frugal, not cheap.

Reactions: jsz
In my environment, AC86U upgraded to GT-AX6000 has been a worthy investment, since I skipped the AX86.
Living Christmas Bonus to Christmas Bonus so I'm frugal, not cheap.

Yeah.. It's always YMMV.

PHY rates were worse on GT-AX6000 for me, but the Line of sight performance was clearly top tier. Tried all channels DFS, modulation etc. I would have kept it if it was was $200.. $300 is a bit to high for something barely getting 50mbps higher at same locations during peak hours (with an AX client).

Hoping QCA 8x8 platform does better for me.. Will buy AX89X if I see a good sale.

Well you guys have convinced me... The AXE11000 isn't the way to go. I'll be keeping my eye out for a new GT-AX6000, and see what the holiday season/sales brings us. Thanks much for all of your great feedback.
Just pulled the trigger on a great Black Friday GT-AX6000 deal through newegg... basically down to $272. Thanks again!

Just pulled the trigger on a great Black Friday GT-AX6000 deal through newegg... basically down to $272. Thanks again!

I also purchased this as it seemed like a great deal.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!