What's new

Looking for a budget wifi router with built in bittorrent support.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vladur

New Around Here
Hello everyone I'm looking for a wifi router with inbuilt torrent download function. From what I have searched it seems that the netgear r6400 has this built in? its also in my budget at around 84 usd where I live. If any current or former r6400 owners can chime in about the torrent download function then that'll be much appreciated. Thanks.

Torrenting from a router is a bad idea, as much for security reasons as for performance reasons. Torrent is very I/O intensive, and unless you have a pretty high-end router (not something found at around 84$), you will have issues.

First of all thanks for your reply. Second do you think torrenting on a budget router will kill it prematurely? I'm thinking of buying an ASUS RT-N18U (89 usd) new which looks like a pretty perfect router for me with the only con that I can find is the lack of a 5ghz band. Ive also found a used Netgear ac3200 nighthawk x6 (112 usd) with warranty still left. Can you tell me if the n18u will suffice or should I get the Netgear one? Thanks.

It won't kill it prematurely, it just won't give you satisfying performance. You need to run the torrent outside of the router.

Well I went ahead and bought a used Asus RT AC68U for about 92 usd and I'm using the download master function to download torrents and as you said I'm not getting a satisfying performance but it's still something that I can live with because of how convenient it is. Thanks for your advice.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!