What's new

Looking for a Gaming/ Digital DJ/All around Lap top

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JOE.G

Regular Contributor
Hi, I do a little gaming, Little Djing and an all around use lap top. I would like to stay around $1,000 if possible and 15-17 Inch screen Built in CD/DVD drive would be nice.

I was looking at a few Alienware options But honestly I am not sure what I am looking at.
I have a few Asus Laptops, and a HP Omen for the kids.

I am open to all suggestions and I am not a computer guy so If you could explain anything you think I may not quite get. Thanks.

The gaming requirement will have a significant impact on the price. Same if you decide to go with 17 inches instead of 15 inches.

With both Intel and AMD coming up with new mobile processors this month, expect to see a price drop on last gen products. In Intel's case, buying an 8th or 9th gen mobile CPU isn't going to make you lose much over their new 10th gen, however it might allow you to save some money.

Alienware is fairly high-end in terms of gaming, you'd probably be wasting money on the brand name. Take a look at Asus, Dell or Lenovo for interesting options. Just make sure it has a discrete graphic card and not just an integrated Intel graphics module. Since I never really look at gaming laptop, I prefer not to recommend you any specific product.

I would skip on the built-in DVD, as these are becoming less common. Go for an USB DVD instead, this will provide you with a wider choice of laptops.

I want it to be an all around good Laptop.

I was on HP Omens and ALienware sight and was confused with all of the options. I would go Asus also.

Any Idea guys? I am I could really use a hand I am clueless with this stuff thanks.

Lots of ideas, but this is a good start if you can wait a bit for delivery. :)

TUF706IU-AS76 Gaming Laptop w/ Ryzen™ 7-4800H, 16GB, 1TB SSD, 17.3in Full HD 120Hz, GeForce GTX 1660Ti, Windows 10 Home

https://www.gentechpc.com/product-p/asus-tuf706iu-as76.htm

I would consider the above 'as-is' with possibly the following upgrades in order of importance for performance and the most 'hassle-free' experience and the most 'ready to use' state, out of the box. See the 'Build Yours' button to configure these options below.
  • $ 45 clean os installation (no bloat-ware and fully updated BIOS and optimized drivers).
  • $145 upgrade to 32GB ram for effectively limitless multitasking and even light/medium video and audio editing capabilities.
  • $134 upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Professional with customized install DVD for quick recovery options, (note, you don't need to include the above $45 charge for a clean install if you pick this option. :) ).
  • Consider adding an additional, internal, HDD or SSD for storage in the 2TB max for HDD or 4TB max for SSD too.
  • $199 2 Year Parts / Lifetime GenTech PC Labor Warranty, Lifetime Toll-Free Technical Support

A system like the above should be able to handle most everything you can throw at it, even at its base price which is right at your budget point. :)

Consider adding the RAM yourself after the purchase of the base system (order at least with just a clean os install for $45 or upgrade to a clean 'Pro' install for $134 plus custom install DVD) as well as adding the additional data storage HDD or SSD options later yourself to save even further.

Fully loaded, this system should be fully usable for any work that you can aspire to. A very powerful, configurable and fully modern setup for the next few years of work and play. :)

HTH.

@JOE.G I have replied but the message is awaiting moderator approval.

Be patient, I think you'll like what I found for you. :)

Is I know in the passed I was always recommended to go with Intel chip over AMD, Are the AMD chips better now and on par?

An "all around use lap top" should be portable... 15" or smaller with good battery life. Gaming specs (size and power) will compromise this.

OE

Is I know in the passed I was always recommended to go with Intel chip over AMD, Are the AMD chips better now and on par?

AMD CPU's have improved and are catching up to Intel. Some even say surpassing. :)

The link I provided gives you the most computer (CPU, GPU, ram screen, battery life) within your budget. There is nothing else I would consider myself in your shoes. :)

The newly launched mobile Ryzen 4000 family is currently giving Intel a bloody nose in the mobile segment. While the original AMD mobile products were horrible (low-end products at best), their current high-end products are now ahead of Intel in terms of performance AND power usage (therefore battery life).

Here's one of the recent review for the new Ryzen 4000:

https://www.techspot.com/review/2003-amd-ryzen-4000/

I will Read that Review Merlin.
L&LD thank you for the Option, The company you linked to is a trust worthy company to deal with?
The next 3 links I provide are any of these on par with the one you linked to ? better worse?
Which of these 3 I linked to would you go with?
L&LD like Ozarkedge said about monitor size I am leaning towards a 15 Inch screen, Does the one you linked to offer a 15?
Yes I am trying to answer these questions myself but I am getting lost at times.
Thank you guys for helping with this.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...lid-state-drive-black/6335589.p?skuId=6335589

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...etalic-hairline-black/6335912.p?skuId=6335912

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...rushed-metallic-black/6338248.p?skuId=6338248

I can't vouch for that company as I haven't used them ever. The link was for the specifications of the model I'm suggesting to you.

None of the other systems you link are close to what I suggested. All are inferior (performance, storage capacity, battery life and how recent the hardware is (it isn't)) and cost significantly more.

I think the model I offered does come in a 15.x" size too. But it may be offered with slightly lessor specs (still better than what you have linked though). :)

If you do use the actual website I linked, please do your own due diligence before you put any credit card info in. :)

The company you linked to is a trust worthy company to deal with?

A most important spec is the depth and capability of the Tech Support organization behind the purchase. For this reason, I'm a Dell online customer. For a laptop, include 3+ years onsite service to have a tech come to your door and fix it. For a desktop, 1 year is enough if you can open the case and do it yourself. Laptops are highly integrated and nearly glued together and more likely to develop an issue and require a repair.

I laptop webcam stopped working here recently. A tech arrived in 2 days, peeled the bezel apart and reseated the webcam ribbon cable connection. That fixed it. Otherwise, he would have installed a tiny delicate replacement webcam/dual microphone assembly.

OE

Last edited:
Ozark, I have had good experience with ASUS so far, I am not against Dell and I think their gaming line is Allienware. Do they offer a Lap top with spec's close to the ones above? I have heard Allienware is more about the name these days and is falling behind. I really don't know much about these things but I have been doing a lot of research. Thank you guy's

Ozark, I have had good experience with ASUS so far, I am not against Dell and I think their gaming line is Allienware. Do they offer a Lap top with spec's close to the ones above? I have heard Allienware is more about the name these days and is falling behind. I really don't know much about these things but I have been doing a lot of research. Thank you guy's

My point is to buy a laptop with Tech Support. (And a matte finish screen... the retail stores tend to be full of glossy screens.)

Sorry, I'm not going to shop your specs for you.... other than to suggest you pick your Tech Support first, then shop your specs.

OE

I don't want a Glossy screen either, I am asking for help not from being lazy but from lack of knowledge, You ask me to build a Snowmobile or a motorized vehicle of any sorts and I would list it part by part for you because that is what I know along with many many other things just not this. Thanks for your advice Ozark.

I don't want a Glossy screen either, I am asking for help not from being lazy but from lack of knowledge, You ask me to build a Snowmobile or a motorized vehicle of any sorts and I would list it part by part for you because that is what I know along with many many other things just not this. Thanks for your advice Ozark.

I understand. I did not say you were lazy. I only said I was not going to shop your specs for you... I'd have to do some serious research before I could offer any advice on specs. Today you only get some general advice from me, sorry.

OE

My point is to buy a laptop with Tech Support.

One of the things I love about my Thinkpad Yoga 15. 4+ years old, and Lenovo STILL issues driver and BIOS updates for it. Most manufacturers drop the ball after 18-24 months.

I just wish they didn't use a BIOS whitelist, so I could update it to 802.11ax wifi.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!