What's new

Looking for a NAS with newbie-friendly GUI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BusyBeaverHP

New Around Here
upload_2018-11-6_8-32-23.png

I checked out https://www.snbforums.com/threads/read-this-before-you-post.1053/ but was overwhelmed, hoping to open discussion here instead!

Thank you ahead of time!

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-6_8-30-26.png
    upload_2018-11-6_8-30-26.png
    125.5 KB · Views: 435
Additional information:

I'm a Windows PC builder for 18 years.
I mostly edit 1080p footage with a 1TB SSD.
My footage archive currently sits in a 8TB MyBook, so I'm trying to move it to a more robust storage solution, mitigating single point of failure.
My experience with command lines is limited to Windows command lines, but even then it's more like copy-paste.

New to NAS hardware but not new to the hardware scene, seeking guidance.

Go look at the QNAP and Synology OS demos. You'll find both easy to use. Synology is a bit easier to understand because QNAP's storage setup is much more complicated IMO. QNAP really needs a wizard or newbie mode for folks who aren't trying to create huge volumes spread over multiple NASes.

Go look at the QNAP and Synology OS demos. You'll find both easy to use. Synology is a bit easier to understand because QNAP's storage setup is much more complicated IMO. QNAP really needs a wizard or newbie mode for folks who aren't trying to create huge volumes spread over multiple NASes.

I would agree on the QNAP - that being said, their OOBE initial setup is pretty straightforward - the challenge is how to expand/extend, and QNAP's is a bit obtuse unless one has some foreknowledge... it's a powerful interface and feature, but one that isn't immediately obvious to a new user.