What's new

Looking for a new router and some random questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TEUTknight

Occasional Visitor
I'm assuming a lot of people make threads like this all the time so I apologize for the repetitiveness. I'm looking for a new router as my current one is a bit outdated and has issues getting everywhere (ASUS RT-N66U). I'm hoping to get another ASUS router since browsing this forum and others mention ASUS products are good if they can use Merlin (which I'm still not 100% sure what it is). I have a budget of $100-250 USD but would prefer cheaper if possible. I'm going to list some specifics first of my network and current house and after that, I'll list what I'm currently looking at.

Price Range: $100-250 (USD)
Network related information:
  • 5-8 devices with only 2 or 3 use it heavily. Due to the design of the house router and heavy usage devices have some distance between them
  • Internet speed is 75mbps down and maybe 10 up (oddly enough through the current router I'm able to get higher download sometimes but not by much)
  • 2300-2800 sq ft house. 3 story house (2 floors and 1 basement) 1 heavy usage device in the basement and two others are on the top floor) router placement is 1st floor)
  • Building is made of wood and brick so there are some thick walls but nothing too bad, though some of the devices have to go through a few walls
  • No devices currently have AX capability but within a year or so I plan on building a new computer that will most likely have AX capability (fair distance from router placement)
If anyone needs any other info feel free to ask.

The current products I've been looking at are the following:
  • ASUS RT-AX3000/AX58U (doesn't currently have Merlin capability but I think it might happen later this year, also brand new product so it might need some patches to work any kinks out?)

• Asus RT-AX88U/AC88U (the overkill option for my internet speed but I feel given the high use devices are further away it might be a good option, I'm just not completely sold yet)
  • ASUS AC3200 (decent option and it is on sale on Amazon at least for the moment)
  • ASUS AC2900
  • Perhaps models from other companies?
I'm not really an expert with networking, so any advice and criticism are appreciated. Thanks for reading and potentially helping!

Last edited:
I'm assuming a lot of people make threads like this all the time so I apologize for the repetitiveness. I'm looking for a new router as my current one is a bit outdated and has issues getting everywhere (ASUS RT-N66U). I'm hoping to get another ASUS router since browsing this forum and others mention ASUS products are good if they can use Merlin (which I'm still not 100% sure what it is). I have a budget of $100-250 USD but would prefer cheaper if possible. I'm going to list some specifics first of my network and current house and after that, I'll list what I'm currently looking at.

Network related information:
  • 5-8 devices with only 2 or 3 use it heavily. Due to the design of the house router and heavy usage devices have some distance between them
  • Internet speed is 75mbps down and maybe 10 up (oddly enough through the current router I'm able to get higher download sometimes but not by much)
  • 2300-2800 sq ft house. 3 story house (2 floors and 1 basement) 1 heavy usage device in the basement and two others are on the top floor) router placement is 1st floor)
  • No devices currently have AX capability but within a year or so I plan on building a new computer that will most likely have AX capability (fair distance from router placement)
If anyone needs any other info feel free to ask.

The current products I've been looking at are the following:
  • ASUS RT-AX3000/AX58U (doesn't currently have Merlin capability but I think it might happen later this year, also brand new product so it might need some patches to work any kinks out?)

• Asus RT-AX88U/AC88U (the overkill option for my internet speed but I feel given the high use devices are further away it might be a good option, I'm just not completely sold yet)
  • ASUS AC3200 (decent option and it is on sale on Amazon at least for the moment)
  • ASUS AC2900
I'm not really an expert with networking, so any advice and criticism are appreciated. Thanks for reading and potentially helping!

What is your actual budget, again?

One RT-AC86U might do it with option to add a node (or AX router) later. A cheaper option is the RT-AC66U_B1, but may have a bit less range.

An AX router will cost you now and may not be ready for prime time. I'd wait.

OE

Last edited:
I think the first order of business is to think about how well your current N66U covers the house. If it does OK-ish then any of the routers you mentioned (or, basically, any AC router) should be an improvement.

If current coverage is poor to crappy to non-existent a single router might not fix that. You might want to run some tests to see where you stand before ... you buy ... anything.
... ASUS products are good if they can use Merlin (which I'm still not 100% sure what it is)
Eric (RMerlin) takes the factory stock firmware and injects a bunch of bug fixes and feature enhancements. It's an awesome contingency to have in your back pocket should the need ever arise.
budget of $100-250 USD but would prefer cheaper if possible
AX ain't cheap. AC should do equally well. An AC68U could be a candidate but, since you already mention range issues ... I don't know why, but I did get noticeably better range with my AC86U (AC2900) over my N66U & AC68U.

Last edited:
I don't know why, but I did get noticeably better range with my AC86U (AC2900) over my N66U & AC68U.

Same here, except I believe the difference is due to a 'range boost' feature in the Wifi radios, and the 86U has an internal 4th 5.0 GHz antenna and a bit more processing power that may seem to improve 'range'. My 2x86U wireless AiMesh backhaul performs better than my 2x68U wireless backhaul did. I would prefer the 86U for router duty and its better range.

OE

ASUS RT-AX3000/AX58U (doesn't currently have Merlin capability but I think it might happen later this year

The AX58U is now supported by Merlin and it's a really good working router.

The AX58U is now supported by Merlin and it's a really good working router.

Oh I didn't know that. I didn't see it listed on the Merlin site so I didn't think it was ready just yet. When you say it's a good working router how would you say its 5ghz wifi is? I'm asking this since due to house design and placement there is a few phones and a microwave between the router and one of the heavy use devices.

What is your actual budget, again?

Price point is around $100 USD to $250 USD.

Gonna spend a bit of time cleaning up and adding this to the initial post. My bad for not making it clear.

Also I have another question, how exactly does ASUS mesh work? If I eventually move for whatever reason or if what I get doesn't get everywhere I was thinking of trying this out. The only problem I can think of is that in my house ethernet outlets are hard to get to except for the one that is connected to the modem.

Last edited:
Also I have another question, how exactly does ASUS mesh work? If I eventually move for whatever reason or if what I get doesn't get everywhere I was thinking of trying this out. The only problem I can think of is that in my house ethernet outlets are hard to get to except for the one that is connected to the modem.

My notes might shed some light.

Given Asus AiMesh-supported routers, you setup a router/root node as usual and then add another reset router to it as an AiMesh node with either a wired or wireless interconnection/backhaul. The node can connect wired and wireless clients. Tri-band routers dedicate their 2nd 5.0 GHz band to the wireless backhaul, even if using a wired backhaul. Dual-band routers share their WiFi with wireless clients and the wireless backhaul. Guest WLANs are not supported yet on nodes. All nodes broadcast the same SSID on the same 2.4 and 5.0 GHz channels except you can disable Smart Connect node band steering and specify separate/different SSIDs for each band. A recommended configuration is to disable Smart Connect and set fixed channels (no Auto channel scanning/changing) and separate SSIDs (no auto Smart Connect node band steering) for more stable/predictable WiFi. So for example, SSID-24 on channel 11 (n-only) and SSID-50 on channel 149 (n/ac). Note that Smart Connect is not supported on AC1900/AC68/AC66 B1 AiMesh-supported routers, so the recommended configuration is required.

OE

My notes might shed some light.
Tri-band routers dedicate their 2nd 5.0 GHz band to the wireless backhaul, even if using a wired backhaul. Dual-band routers share their WiFi with wireless clients and the wireless backhaul. OE

I'm going to be honest, I don't fully understand what you are saying. Does that mean I would need a tri band router to have a proper wireless ASUS mesh? I feel tri band would be overkill for my house just due to the lack of devices and speed. I do currently have set channels (don't fully know what channels are but I heard if my channels are different than neighbors it helps a lot). I'm gonna have to spend some more time looking some of this up.

Thanks again for all the help and feedback everyone!

I'm going to be honest, I don't fully understand what you are saying. Does that mean I would need a tri band router to have a proper wireless ASUS mesh? I feel tri band would be overkill for my house just due to the lack of devices and speed. I do currently have set channels (don't fully know what channels are but I heard if my channels are different than neighbors it helps a lot). I'm gonna have to spend some more time looking some of this up.

Thanks again for all the help and feedback everyone!

No, you don't have to use a tri-band router. I highlighted their difference so that you can consider your application. If you want your node at the end of a marginal wireless backhaul to support 30 wireless clients and a couple wired streaming media devices and a couple wired game boxes and your wife's home office equipment with VoIP conference call center... then you might want to consider how tri-band equipment might help better accommodate that network traffic in time.

OE

Okay, sorry for the misunderstanding like I said my knowledge for networking is very basic but the learning process has been fun. Looking further I'm thinking of getting the AX58U since it seems cheaper than the AC86 on amazon since it would mean future proofing and it would allow me to use Merlin (that and I believe modern routers are backwards compatible so it should be able to use AC for my current devices). What exactly does Merlin do? I'm guessing it improves performance and does some changes here and there?

I agree with KAL-El, I have a AX-58U and a AX-88U both. I have a 2 story house about 2000 sq. Ft. and the 58U is quite capable in handling that with 25 clients easily with full speeds everywhere, no drops, strong signal, one of the best routers I’ve owned by far and the price at BB is $159 on sale.

The AX88U is also top notch, a bit faster WiFi and the range is a bit better but it costs twice as much and it is getting a bit old now but works great. Both are supported by Merlin so a huge
advantage to the stock firmware.

Your ISP speed is 75/10 I think the 88U is complete overkill but the 58U might be pretty good in your situation if you want to go AX instead of AC.

@TEUTknight it may be easier to state what RMerlin firmware doesn't do.
  • It can't make coffee in the morning (yet).
  • It can't be used as a 'universal' excuse for your spouse (yet). But the phrase 'The Asus made me do it' has worked for some.
  • It can't be used on non-Asus routers (illegal).
But seriously, it takes one of the best Wireless routers (hardware-wise) which is built on fairly current code by Asus and further improves it by adding features, bug-fixes and a forum (right here!) that has a vibrant and helpful membership ready to help with almost any possible router request. :)

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/about

For an outline of RMerlin firmware and the currently supported models are listed in the link above.

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/features

The above link highlights some of the features included.

Also, the inclusion of amtm and making amtm the official way to install Entware onto supported routers is huge by itself!

Additionally, it is interesting to note that some of the enhancements in Asus stock firmware were first coded by RMerlin in his fork(s) too.

Some features first debuted in Asuswrt-Merlin have since been integrated/enabled in the official firmware:

• HTTPS configuration interface
  • Persistent JFFS partition
  • LED control - put your router in Stealth Mode by turning off all LEDs
  • Turning WPS button into a radio on/off toggle
  • Clicking on the MAC address of an unidentified client will do a lookup in the OUI database.
  • WakeOnLan web interface (with pre-configured targets)
  • Display active/tracked network connections
  • VPN Status page
  • DualWAN and Repeater mode (while it was still under development by Asus)
  • Basic OpenVPN (client and server) support
  • Configurable IPv6 firewall
  • Improved compatibility with 3TB+ and Advanced Format HDDs
  • SSH access

Sure, Asus routers can be used adequately with stock firmware. But why?

Using RMerlin powered Asus routers is like having a Ferrari and a personal mechanic tuning it for each flight made in low earth orbit at sub-light speeds. And the seatbelts are DoT and Skynet, and the afterburners are Unbound_manager and Diversion w/pixelserv-tls. :D

Our imaginations (and that of our fearless group of super-scripters) are our only limits.

HTH. :)

@TEUTknight it may be easier to state what RMerlin firmware doesn't do.
Using RMerlin powered Asus routers is like having a Ferrari and a personal mechanic tuning it for each flight made in low earth orbit at sub-light speeds. And the seatbelts are DoT and Skynet, and the afterburners are Unbound_manager and Diversion w/pixelserv-tls. :D

Our imaginations (and that of our fearless group of super-scripters) are our only limits.
That sounds amazing, I will just have to look into how to download/install the firmware since I've only ever used official software. I will say though I'm doubtful that I will be able to make the most of it just due to lack of knowledge in networking. Also this alone sold me on making sure I get an ASUS router.

@Kal-EL You mentioned you currently have the product, may I ask how good the range is and what sort of household you have (just asking to see how good the range gets to places for both 2.4 and 5)?

I think the first order of business is to think about how well your current N66U covers the house. If it does OK-ish then any of the routers you mentioned (or, basically, any AC router) should be an improvement.

If current coverage is poor to crappy to non-existent a single router might not fix that. You might want to run some tests to see where you stand before you buy ... anything.

Eric (RMerlin) takes the factory stock firmware and injects a bunch of bug fixes and feature enhancements. It's an awesome contingency to have in your back pocket should the need ever arise.

AX ain't cheap. AC should do equally well. An AC68U could be a candidate but, since you already mention range issues ... I don't know why, but I did get noticeably better range with my AC86U (AC2900) over my N66U & AC68U.

In my case, I upgraded from n66u to ac86u ( huge performane difference) running smooth Going on 12 days after rma on Merlin 384.12

@TEUTknight, no difference in loading 'official' vs. RMerlin firmware. :)

The best part is without doing anything else except installing and resetting it afterward, you will get the full benefits RMerlin firmware provides, 'built-in'. :)

Of course, RMerlin, Jack Yaz, thelonelycoder, Adamm, Xentrk, john9527 and so many others should add a warning that scripts and addons are addictive and may become a possible time-consuming aspect of having all this firepower on tap. :)

But you can't play golf all day (and all night). :D

In my case, I upgraded from n66u to ac86u ( huge performane difference) running smooth Going on 12 days after rma on Merlin 384.12
Yeah thanks for the feedback, I am just leaning towards the ax58u due to it being a bit cheaper and having the benefit of 'future proofing.' Whenever I get home I need to do more price comparisons as well as check other websites since I'm only checking amazon at the moment.

@TEUTknight, no difference in loading 'official' vs. RMerlin firmware. :)

The best part is without doing anything else except installing and resetting it afterward, you will get the full benefits RMerlin firmware provides, 'built-in'. :)

Of course, RMerlin, Jack Yaz, thelonelycoder, Adamm, Xentrk, john9527 and so many others should add a warning that scripts and addons are addictive and may become a possible time-consuming aspect of having all this firepower on tap. :)

But you can't play golf all day (and all night). :D

That's nice to have! What I meant is just the initial installation, since I've only ever done updates by connecting directly to the router ui and updating it that way. I assumed I would have to download it and somehow put it on the router, that is the part I'm confused of.

@Kal-EL You mentioned you currently have the product, may I ask how good the range is and what sort of household you have (just asking to see how good the range gets to places for both 2.4 and 5)?

I got my AX58U back in November i also have a Asus AC3100 and Netgear R7800 the AX58U works just as good as far as range and speeds. I don't have a huge home 900 square foot Apt. With 5 GHz wireless using my Netgear A6210 AC1200 wifi adapter i get about 520 down 520 up. Don't have any AX clients as of yet. I have been quite surprised with this router so far and Merlin support makes it a no brainer for the price.

Looking further I'm thinking of getting the AX58U since it seems cheaper than the AC86 on amazon since it would mean future proofing and it would allow me to use Merlin (that and I believe modern routers are backwards compatible so it should be able to use AC for my current devices).

Asus specs the 86U for 'very large homes' and the 58U for 'large homes'...

Some reviews of AX routers mention issues with AC clients. This seems to be followed by disabling an AX feature...

OE

@TEUTknight the first link below is the GUI update page (its a demo site of the RT-AX88U).

http://demoui.asus.com/Advanced_FirmwareUpgrade_Content.asp

The link below is the download to the RT-AX88U 'stable' firmware folder on RMerlin's site.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AX88U/Release/

You would first download the 'RT-AX88U_384.15_0.zip' file to your computer and then unzip it.

Then you would click the 'Upload' link in the demo GUI (above) to upload the 'RT-AX88U_384.15_0_cferom_ubi.w' file and the update process will begin immediately. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!