What's new

Looking for a replacement for Asus RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JoeSchmoe007

Regular Contributor
I've had Asus RT-N66U (Merlin Firmware) for years and have been out of the loop about latest and greatest.

I could've used it for much longer but power button broke down several years ago and it is now kept in On position using scotch tape and pencil eraser, which is not a reliable solution. Since I am now working from home I need something better and want to upgrade. Plus there is no longer any firmware updates for it as far as I can tell.

My internet connection is 200/35 via cable.

My needs: I live in a 1-bedroom apartment (1-level) in a brick building. I don't really care about wireless speeds all that much as long as both rooms are covered - my only wireless devices are my phone and a tablet. All my work-related devices are hard-wired. I stream via Roku but it is also hard-wired.

So what is most important to me is reliability (hardware and software) and timely firmware updates (for security and bug fixes). I don't care about support for WiFi-6 because I will probably turn off wireless anyway and use something else as wireless access point due to my apartment layout (I currently use several years old FIOS router for this and it is fine).

I don't really care about Asus cloud and similar features. VPN would probably be nice to have but I've never had a real need for it. I also do not intend to run any additional software on the router or use it as file/print server.

I don't mind getting Asus again but I am not partial to any specific brand.

Price range is <$200.

I am willing to consider wired-only pro-oriented devices as well but not familiar with this market segment and don't want to have to learn CLI to use it. That being said, I am a software developer and very comfortable configuring all options of the router via web interface.

I looked at ASUS Wireless-AC1700 Dual Band Gigabit Router (Up to 1700 Mbps) with USB 3.0 (RT-ACRH17) but it is over 2 years old by now (first available on Amazon on September 26, 2017) so not sure this is a good long-term solution.

I am also looking at some cheap TP-Link router but I am not familiar with the brand at all.

What would you recommend?

I've had Asus RT-N66U (Merlin Firmware) for years and have been out of the loop about latest and greatest.

I could've used it for much longer but power button broke down several years ago and it is now kept in On position using scotch tape and pencil eraser, which is not a reliable solution. Since I am now working from home I need something better and want to upgrade. Plus there is no longer any firmware updates for it as far as I can tell.

My internet connection is 200/35 via cable.

My needs: I live in a 1-bedroom apartment (1-level) in a brick building. I don't really care about wireless speeds all that much as long as both rooms are covered - my only wireless devices are my phone and a tablet. All my work-related devices are hard-wired. I stream via Roku but it is also hard-wired.

So what is most important to me is reliability (hardware and software) and timely firmware updates (for security and bug fixes). I don't care about support for WiFi-6 because I will probably turn off wireless anyway and use something else as wireless access point due to my apartment layout (I currently use several years old FIOS router for this and it is fine).

I don't really care about Asus cloud and similar features. VPN would probably be nice to have but I've never had a real need for it. I also do not intend to run any additional software on the router or use it as file/print server.

I don't mind getting Asus again but I am not partial to any specific brand.

Price range is <$200.

I am willing to consider wired-only pro-oriented devices as well but not familiar with this market segment and don't want to have to learn CLI to use it. That being said, I am a software developer and very comfortable configuring all options of the router via web interface.

I looked at ASUS Wireless-AC1700 Dual Band Gigabit Router (Up to 1700 Mbps) with USB 3.0 (RT-ACRH17) but it is over 2 years old by now (first available on Amazon on September 26, 2017) so not sure this is a good long-term solution.

I am also looking at some cheap TP-Link router but I am not familiar with the brand at all.

What would you recommend?

Some to consider:

Asus RT-AC86U has hardware encryption for strong VPN and "very large home" WiFi.

Asus RT-AC66U B1 is similar to 68U but in a flat case for "large home" WiFi.

OE

If you looking for something solid the AC68 family was a worthy successor to the N66. Totally reliable and it is still supported by Merlin

From the AC68 family Best Buy sells the AC1900P which has a 1.4 Ghz dual core processor. Some people will tell you for the same money to get an AC86 but unless you need or want to handle VPN clients at download speeds in excess of 60 Mbps go with a router from the AC68 family such as the AC1900P. The AC86 is a beast but it can be flaky.

The AC WiFi on the AC1900P will be a step up from the N66.

A second voice for the 86U. Stellar device for the price point, and you can get refurbished for even less.

The 1900 might even be something to look at, performance-wise, it is somewhere between your old 66 and the 86.

Also, you might take a peek at John's Merlin fork. I might be very wrong, but it might incorporate some fixes that would be missing from the last AC66U Merlin.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-v39e3.18914/

IF that old N66U gave you everything you needed including range/performance then "almost" any of today's products (yes, even home routers) should meet your stated needs.

When I moved on from my N66Us (plural, multiple sites) I did stick with Asus because of familiarity (I am not a quick study), their real time traffic monitor and because of RMerlin.

Asus, Traffic Monitor, RMerlin & QoS were awesome when my sites were failing and led me to being able to fix things. Now that everything is working smooth;
  • I haven't even loaded RMerlin on my new routers but, I do like knowing it's there if I need it.
  • With my recent ISP speed increases I only use QoS at one of my sites.
  • I don't really "need" traffic monitor anymore but I still like looking at it. At work I can see when something unusual is going on or I can quickly see if our cameras are down and, at home, I can even tell when my grandson went to bed : -)
My upgrades:
  • At one site I went with an Asus 68U, solid and I saw some improvement in range/performance.
  • At another site I went with an Asus Blue Cave, also solid and I saw some improvement in range/performance (actually a little more than that ... because my wife liked the looks of it she let me move it off of the floor and out of the corner : -)
  • At two other sites I went with Asus 86Us and saw noticeable improvement to the point where co-workers came up to me and asked, "What the hell!" One has been solid. The other I wind up rebooting every couple of months (but it also deals with 12 users and 25 some devices).
As you read elsewhere in these forums you will see that the Netgear R7800 also seems to be held in high regard.

Until then try duct tape?

Last edited:
I ended up getting RT-AC66U B1. Use it with Asus firmware with wireless part disabled and everything works just fine. It does have the same power switch as one that failed in my RT-N66 (at least it looks the same outside).

I flashed my RT-N66 with Asus firmware and use it as access point/switch in another corner of the room (connected via Ethernet to RT-AC66U). I also "re-fixed" it with a new piece of Scotch tape and a piece of plastic (one of these HDMI cable end covers) instead of rubber pencil eraser to hold power button down. It now seems so solid I think I didn't need a new router but oh well.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!