What's new

Looking for a router that runs off 5V and has openvpn client support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Roy360360

Occasional Visitor
Looking for a small travel router that I can power off a USB power bank.
Openvpn client is a must as I want to remote into my home network.

I don't mind building my own thing or flashing third third party fw as well if that's optimal.

I'll rarely use the Ethernet ports. Will mainly be using this device as a wireless repeater. Double nat not a issue for me, as long as my devices can talk to each other.

Check out the GL.iNet travel routers. I have the older (Beryl) GL-MT1300 which I have used for the very same purpose for a couple of years and works great.

this one I used before you can add LTE dong for example E3372
https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/3g-4g-router/tl-mr3020/

and here info about OpenWRT installation and OpenVPN configuration
https://loganmarchione.com/2015/02/openwrt-with-openvpn-client-on-tp-link-tl-mr3020/

something integrated and cheap
https://www.cudy.com/productinfo/735073.html
I did see this device, however the openwrt page said "This device is NOT RECOMMENDED for future use with OpenWrt" so I figured it might not be good at openvpn.

I don't mind building my own thing or flashing third third party fw as well if that's optimal.

I'll rarely use the Ethernet ports. Will mainly be using this device as a wireless repeater. Double nat not a issue for me, as long as my devices can talk to each other.
My GL-Net AR750S works using a standard 5V 2000 mA power supply. Just for grins tested it using an USB power bank and as expected it worked.

My travel router is a discontinued model but I would expect the newer models also use a standard 5v power supply.

P.S. It also supports both open VPN and Wireguard.

Check out the GL.iNet travel routers. I have the older (Beryl) GL-MT1300 which I have used for the very same purpose for a couple of years and works great.

Second this. Currently on sale at Amazon. Very flexible configuration options. 2.5gb WAN port, configurable to LAN, second 1gb LAN port.

here is one if you want to have AX

This product is very similar to GL.iNet travel routers. The manufacturer is focused mostly on the Asian market though.

GL-Inet Slate Plus might be a good one to look at...

GL-A1300

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!