What's new

Looking for a Router with some reqs (inside)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xvilar

New Around Here
I'm looking for a router to put aside my ONT's internet company fiber router+ont, and I would like to have:

- latest wifi specifications, protocols and improvements
- Multi VPN client (I think it's called split tunneling) to be able to select which local network device connects with which differents VPN services
- Capable of act as a VPN server also
- DHCP + Local DNS (like I'm doing right now with DNSMASQ in a linux server)

Thanx!

Is this the ATT combined ONT+Router ?
i think the best you can do is double nat adding in your own router to do what you need as their network requires both, even if the split version.

Is this the ATT combined ONT+Router ?
i think the best you can do is double nat adding in your own router to do what you need as their network requires both, even if the split version.
Thanks Degrub, what I'm looking for is good router that fits my local network needs (in my first post), despite how I have to plug to the Spanish Movistar ONT+Router, because this point it's already solved (put it in mononode modality). Anyway thanx!

You may have to wait for all extra features and options to work (reliably or at all), but the RT-AX86U with RMerlin 386.1 Beta 2 firmware or better is my suggestion.

Features | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

Changelog | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

Home · RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng Wiki · GitHub

Openvpn.png

You may have to wait for all extra features and options to work (reliably or at all), but the RT-AX86U with RMerlin 386.1 Beta 2 firmware or better is my suggestion.

Features | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

Changelog | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

Home · RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng Wiki · GitHub

Openvpn.png

BTW If I may: I did notice that latest version of Merlin do have policy-based routing for Openvpn, am I right? And the other 'must' I need is something like Dnsmasq (dhcp + dns, for local lan etc.), am I right?

This fits my initial needs, with basic PPoE client capability in order to use it with my provider ONT, so maybe I will consider RT-AX86U with Rmerlin 386.1 beta2.

It's quite weird but the openvpn routing thing is available in the asus gt-ac2900 that is a 'minor' router (and cheaper) than the rt-ax86u ... i don't want a Gaming router, like GT- ones :)

Thanks!

Yes, the 'GT' line may have more features in stock Asus firmware than the 'RT' line. But stock Asus vs. RMerlin is like a Chevette vs. a Corvette. :)

@L&LD thanks again for your answer and helping me

If I may, I'v received a GT-AC2900 and I would like to test it before changing it to a RT-AX or RT-AC ... and I've found that DCHP and DNS for local connected devices names are working, but with the name that the device 'passes' to the DHCP Asus router server.. but if I change that 'name' of the device in Rapture router configuration software, I'm not able to resolve it... BTW I've established 'lan' domain.

I mean: I've an smartphone Galaxy-S6 for example, that connects to Asus router 5ghz wireless and Asus router got its name as 'Galaxy-S6'.
I'm able to resolve 'Galaxy-S6' and 'Galaxy-S6.lan' from another device connected to the local network (I've checked I'v as DNS the Asus Router in the device network configuration)
I go to network map -> client list in Asus router and I click 'Galaxy-S6' device, I can change the name to 'XPhone'
I can do the same in LAN -> DHCP Server, if I mannualy assign an Ip address to that device, I can click the device and change its name to 'XPhone'

And I'm not able to resolve from the same other device connected to the local network the 'XPhone' or 'XPhone.lan' name...

I assume that this changing name operation in Asus router it's only for visualization or to put 'order' with your device names in Asus router, but not in kind of local DNS, am I right?
It is not possible to make kind of aliases for devices names in Asus router (like I was able to do in dnsmasq in other linux device)
It is not possible to create a kind of hosts file in order to establish there the network names i would like for my local network devices?

BTW it is not possible to have a real dns server in asus router, capable to do aliases or A dns registries?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited:
@xvilar, you're welcome.

I'll have to step down and let others more experienced with the questions you are now asking to help. I don't want to send you down the wrong path with my assumptions!

I too will be looking at the answers to your questions and following along.