What's new

Looking for a router With VPN support in AP mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ahtoh

Occasional Visitor
I use a Mikrotik device as a router but it lags in terms of VPN performance
So I'm looking for an additional device that I can use as a VPN gateway (wireguard support is preferred)
I want at least 100-200MBps VPN throughput.

lesson - do not post unless adequately caffeinated. :eek:

Last edited:
I saw that, but does that require the router to be in the router mode? I dont need another router in my network. I just want to add a VPN gateway

I saw that, but does that require the router to be in the router mode?
Yes.

Do you already have a server on your LAN? That would likely be a better choice for a VPN gateway than a router or wireless access point.

I have a Synology NAS, which I can probably use.. it has that option to "Share this connection" in the VPN connection settings
It doesn't supports wireguard or IKEv2 tho

I saw that, but does that require the router to be in the router mode? I dont need another router in my network. I just want to add a VPN gateway
Yes, sorry I was not sufficiently caffeinated when I posted. Erk. :oops:

Maybe something like this?

Interesting piece of hardware. The Cortex A53 is the same as in the AC86 however the clock speed is listed as 1Ghz which according to the manufacturer's spec sheet limits OpenVPN to 97 Mbps.

They do however claim that with WireGuard it can do 280 Mbps. Currently I am only aware of two commercial VPN providers that support WireGuard. (Astrill & Strong VPN)

Probably a few others and because of the advantages WireGuard offers I'm sure there will be more in the not to distant future.

I see it has OpenWRT installed.
Does it support VPN connection in "AP mode"? Bridge between WAN/LAN mode in this case
I'm not sure what you mean by "AP mode", it's not a wireless access point. It's a gateway device so you'll have to configure the rest of your network appropriately so that your devices can route through it.

I don't know anything about your particular network design/requirements or Mikrotik devices so I'll have to leave that to you to figure out.

I use a Mikrotik device as a router but it lags in terms of VPN performance
So I'm looking for an additional device that I can use as a VPN gateway (wireguard support is preferred)
I want at least 100-200MBps VPN throughput.

What about replacing the router with a different one? Many people run x86 boxes with Untangle, pfSense, Sophos, etc. An Intel i5-5200U based appliance (or something similar) may hit >350Mbps on OpenVPN, supported by many commercial VPN providers. If the server on the other side is willing to send you >350Mbps... I believe for about $250 you can get a pretty decent appliance, not only covering your VPN needs, but further expanding security and networking options. Then you can run through VPN whatever you want, at maximum speeds available with your VPN provider in your area.

My x86 router (specs in the signature) can do >400Mbps on OpenVPN. Don't know about Wireguard... Gigabit probably? But again, most commercial VPN servers won't go much over 200Mbps no matter what hardware you have on your end. I just used available parts, quad-core 3.4GHz CPU is not really needed. I run mine on 1.6GHz to keep the fans silent and to prevent dust buildup.

Last edited:
The router is mikrotik for a reason, it is POE powered and located on a pole outside. Uses WiFi as WAN interface.
I don't think I want to replace it with anything else.

The router is mikrotik for a reason, it is POE powered and located on a pole outside. Uses WiFi as WAN interface.
I don't think I want to replace it with anything else.

OK, a Wireless Bridge basically.
Where is the LAN going to? One cable, multiple?
Do you want to run your entire network through VPN?

Not a bridge, it performs routing too.
LAN is going everywhere.
VPN is for some devices only. Not entire network.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!