What's new

Looking for a router with VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

calgarychris

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Although this is a question about VPN, I know I need a new router to do what I want, hence why I'm posting here! :)

My setup and wishlist
1. I have a home connection with a couple of computers (Mac, PC, Linux) and three iphones sharing the connection
2. I would like to get a service like BTGuard or something similar and have the router connect to it so that I don't need to install any software on the computers, but simply continue to have them go through the router (i.e. the router handles all of the work)
3. I don't want to use DD-WRT or anything like that...stock oem firmware please
4. I would like to get access to my files remotely
5. Ideally it would be nice to have the iphone connect to home when using unsecured wi-fi
6. Must be ADSL2+, have wi-fi and have four gigabit ports

So basically I'm hoping that there's something out there router-wise that can handle all traffic going out to a service like BTGuard (or StrongVPN) and ideally, handle inbound connections via VPN as well for the iPhones. The idea is for my web traffic to be anonymised a bit from home and to provide a more secure way to surf via wi-fi when outside the home.

Is anyone aware of such a device? Too much to ask?

Thanks very much – sorry for the bombardment of questions, I'm a newb at all of this.

Cheers
Chris

VPN Solutions

My recommendation to you is as follows:

For a turn key VPN solution for your home router look at routers with customized firmware from Sabai Technology. You can use Open, LPTP or PPTP VPN. Their routers run a customized version of Tomato. You can set them up and be ready to go in five minutes using VPN services from a number of providers.

For secure browsing when away from home you need to run VPN directly on your client for the best speed and security. For many mobile devices PPTP is the only or at least easiest to set up. Not great security, but it is better than nothing.

There are a lot of routers with built-in PPTP clients (one of BTGuard's options). None that I know of handle OpenVPN with stock firmware.

Use the Router Finder, scroll to the bottom and filter for the VPN type you want.

Requiring built-in ADSL2+ narrows your selection a lot.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!