What's new

Looking for a simple NAS HD

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ng4ever

Regular Contributor
Do they make any ? Yes I looked but it seems like WD requires an account to access them now.

Is there any that doesn't require that?

Are you asking about a NAS with an integrated HD or an HD to put in a driveless NAS? There are certainly many of the latter - from WD among others - and you don't need a WD account to get them.

There are also some NAS devices with integrated drives, but I guess it depends on what you mean by "simple".

Assuming that means "never mind" and you have found an answer :)

But just in case not, you can go to just about any vendor site (or Google) and search, but WD has a NAS version, it is their "Red" series. Seagate also has their "Ironwolf" series.

There are also some "simple" single or dual HDD units that have built in ethernet ports (as well as usb or some other direct connect) and usually run samba. These have pretty limited abilities, and cost generally almost as much as a "real" NAS. I have an old Eagle brand unit that does this.

WD and seagate are the major ones in market for low end NAS that uses entry level ARM CPUs. there are pleny of options, so many infact that it depends on your skill level. I've seen some ARM boards that include the samsung exynos dual quad cores with sata and USB that it can be a simple basic NAS which you can install linux on. Though despite using a full linux OS its still ARM so processing capabilities are limited.

WD does a little better than seagate for this but seagate gives better value. The account if needed should be free on both devices.