What's new

Looking for a UNIX based NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PacketRider

Occasional Visitor
Considering all the NAS solutions offered these days, I have yet found a NAS box that runs on UNIX. The only exception is FreeNAS but its development is slow. Sure it's free and does what it claims, but it lacks important features that I want.

Is there any other NAS solutions out there that have UNIX such as FreeBSD as its foundation? It seems to me that UFS is the best file system for storage medium. If it were free, it's even better. All the free DIYS NASes are based on Linux with ext2 or ext3 as its file system which can be problematic for Mac clients.

I've seen one around, however haven't used it. The "Free" version doesn't give much, but if you really want a Unix backing..

It's a bit odd, it's build onto a fairly new OS called Nexenta. Nexenta is a Unix/Linux cross, taking a Solaris 10 Kernel, then building in a Debian structure. NexentaStor is the storage version that they do charge for (For the unlimited, atleast) which you can find here.

I've only used the OS, which seems to be fairly sound. The storage OS might be worth checking out, but I haven't really had the time to play with it. The only down side, as with Solaris, the hardware requirements are kind of steep.

....All the free DIYS NASes are based on Linux with ext2 or ext3 as its file system which can be problematic for Mac clients.

Hello there,

Just to point out: You're talking about a NAS here. A NAS is basically a file server. It separates the client from the filesystem with file service software. It doesn't matter if the NAS runs UFS, HFS+, ext2, ext3, ext4, reiserfs, xfs, jfs, zfs, NTFS, or FAT32. The client doesn't see any of this. The client sees either an NFS server, an SMB server, an AFS server, or a DAV server. The underlying filesystem is immaterial. You're looking at the wrong layer. The type of file system only matters if you're planning on physically hooking the drives to the client PC. Then you're no longer talking about a NAS. Instead you're in the DAS realm.

Considering all the NAS solutions offered these days, I have yet found a NAS box that runs on UNIX. The only exception is FreeNAS but its development is slow. Sure it's free and does what it claims, but it lacks important features that I want.

Are you serious? Just about all the NAS's that I'm aware of run UNIX. Are you looking for a BSD or Linux solution specifically? Most home solutions run linux.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!