What's new

Looking for advice mesh vs router+AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cabshank

New Around Here
I have a 2300 sq ft split level home with a half basement that I am looking to setup a mesh Wi-Fi network for. I have internal and external Wi-Fi cameras (ring stick up cams outside and amcrest cameras inside).

I currently have 3x Asus RT-AC68U routers running in Aimesh mode, but when the ring cameras detect motion and 2 or 3 of them jump on the Wi-Fi the routers seem to have trouble keeping up a quality connection so both audio and video is delivered. This happens to a lesser extent with the Amcrest cameras (delayed feeds when connecting to the cameras).

I was considering switching to Omada or Unifi APs and keeping a single ASUS as a main router (with its Wi-Fi off), but wanted to see what others thought of my plan and see if any other alternatives for a budget setup exist.

Thanks.

APs will perform better as they're designed for a single purpose. My Zyxel covers 1300ft just fine at full speed. In my normal position paired with an ax411 wifi card it hits 1.5gbps. they run $150 and work well. The model I'm using is the nwa210ax. There's a newer model out the 220axe which gives you the option of running 6ghz but disables 5ghz to use it. There's a higher end model though that has all 3 bands but runs about $280.

APs will perform better as they're designed for a single purpose. My Zyxel covers 1300ft just fine at full speed. In my normal position paired with an ax411 wifi card it hits 1.5gbps. they run $150 and work well. The model I'm using is the nwa210ax. There's a newer model out the 220axe which gives you the option of running 6ghz but disables 5ghz to use it. There's a higher end model though that has all 3 bands but runs about $280.
I concur, use access points mode.

I was considering switching to Omada or Unifi APs and keeping a single ASUS as a main router

You can do that, but with home routers you lose some VLAN options, unless the new Pro series routers can integrate better.

For good TP-Link Omada setup you need JetStream series PoE switch like TL-SG2210MP, PoE APs like EAP620 HD or better (wireless mesh options), OC200 Omada SDN Controller (or software on something running 24/7). For complete Omada setup the matching SafeStream routers are ER605, ER7206.

Demo of what you get here:

You might take a look at the Cisco 150ax wireless APs. They are $102 each. They are fast with Windows 11. I have no issues using Apple devices. You don't need a controller as it is built-in and I can confirm it auto switches when the primary goes down. The controller passes to the next AP automatically in software.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!