What's new

Looking for advice on how to setup wifi clients with RT-AC5300 and a DS718+ NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

solo

Occasional Visitor
I have a Synology DS718+ which I will have 2x hardwired with link aggregation to my RT-AC5300 router.
I also have multiple wireless clients between the two 5G networks, split equally based on usage.
For example, my iphones, ipads, macbooks are on 5G-1, and my Shield TVs, PS4s, wifi speakers are on 5G-2.

The NAS server huuuge video files (sometimes up to 65GB per file) to the ShieldTVs so those two devices are mostly reading. The macbook downloads multiple legal torrent files to the NAS, so that is mostly writing.

Max transfer rate of the gigabit connection between the NAS and Router would be about 250 MB/s with link aggregation. Let's say for the sake of overhead etc. we are looking at 225 MB/s served by the NAS to the router.
Max transfer rate of each 5G wifi is 270 MB/s. Let's say since it is wifi, I'd count it at 150 MB/s served over each 5G wifi by the router.

What would be the best way to connect my NAS-using wifi clients based on my assumptions above? The NAS users are the two ShieldTVs and one macbook pro. They are all using the NAS at the same time. Would it be wise to keep everything as is (so one macbook on 5G-1 and two ShieldTVs on 5G-2) or is there a better way to split? Does it matter if devices are connected to different 5G network or will the router aggregate somehow (smart connect is off)? Or if 5G-1 is fully saturated, will it be slower vs 5G-2 which has nothing connected to it?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!