What's new

Looking for advice on upgrading from N router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

inkytires

Occasional Visitor
I'd appreciate advice about using 2 or 3 ac routers configured as access points, and using my cable provider's gateway as the DHCP router. They would be placed around the house and connect through my Ethernet cabling.
  1. Would there be a problem with interference among the multiple radios?
  2. Is this overkill for a medium sized house? I'm currently using a single "n" router and the signal is weak in other rooms. Maybe I should buy one first and see how it works?

Lots of discussions about this already within the forum. You can probably use routers that are configured as an AP....or you can just use dedicated APs. Depends on what your feature requirements are, price point, and how you want to manage them.

1.) As long as they are on non-overlapping channels, no interference issues
2.) Overkill...that is up to you depending on what your requirements are. Many of us on here have multiple APs across our houses for various reasons.

Your biggest challenge will come to cabling each of the devices up. Next comes to understanding how to tune/adjust the radio power on each one to help encourage seamless roaming of your clients across the multiple APs.

It's hard to suggest the best upgrade without knowing your current setup and it's weak points. Need to know device model numbers and where they are located ie center of house on main floor, at one end of house on second floor....

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!