What's new

Looking for an ad blocking option for Netgear R7800 (like AB-Solution)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rbird2

Regular Contributor
Is there an Ad blocking option for Netgear R7800 (running Voxel firmware) like the AB-Solution software for the Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware?

https://www.ab-solution.info/

I currently use many Firefox add-on's like uBlock Orgin but I see that after Firefox version 57 (November 2017) all Legacy ad-ons will no longer work.

I'm looking for an alternative so I thought that if I could get my Netgear R7800 to provide ad blocking, this would easily solve the problem. Also, it may be much more efficient since the Router would handle ad-blocking.

Is there an Ad blocking option for Netgear R7800 (running Voxel firmware) like the AB-Solution software for the Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware?

https://www.ab-solution.info/

I currently use many Firefox add-on's like uBlock Orgin but I see that after Firefox version 57 (November 2017) all Legacy ad-ons will no longer work.

I'm looking for an alternative so I thought that if I could get my Netgear R7800 to provide ad blocking, this would easily solve the problem. Also, it may be much more efficient since the Router would handle ad-blocking.

IMO good ad-block solution would be use of privoxy+filters+cron (Entware). I.e. proxy server on your R7800 with ad-block filters with automatic renew, say, weekly.

I am using exactly such solution installed on my home server (PC, not router), but the same could be done for R7800 or R9000 with my firmware and Entware. The only necessity to have external USB drive with ext2/3/4 partition.

If interesting I can prepare already installed/tuned minimal Entware version, i.e. tar which should be unpacked from the root of USB drive.

Voxel.

IMO good ad-block solution would be use of privoxy+filters+cron (Entware). I.e. proxy server on your R7800 with ad-block filters with automatic renew, say, weekly.

I am using exactly such solution installed on my home server (PC, not router), but the same could be done for R7800 or R9000 with my firmware and Entware. The only necessity to have external USB drive with ext2/3/4 partition.

If interesting I can prepare already installed/tuned minimal Entware version, i.e. tar which should be unpacked from the root of USB drive.

Voxel.

Yes, I would be interested in this and I'm sure it would be quite useful to others as well.

Yes, I would be interested in this and I'm sure it would be quite useful to others as well.

OK, you can try (should work with R7500/R7800/R9000, my firmware):

http://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/Entware/entware-cortex-a15-3x-ad-block.tar.gz

Brief instructions:

1. Make ext2/3/4 filesystem on your USB drive, e.g. insert it to your router, enter by telnet to router and run the command:
Code:
umount /mnt/sda1
mkfs.ext4 –L optware /dev/sda1
(or /dev/sdb1 or /dev/sdc1 or /dev/sdd1 etc depending on your current configuration and drive used).

2. Untar entware-cortex-a15-3x-ad-block.tar.gz at the root of your USB. You should get the following directories (root of drive):
Code:
/autorun
/entware

3. Reboot your router and wait about 3 min.

After that time you can use your router as a proxy with Ad-Block function. I.e. set your router IP as an address and port 8118 in your browser for proxy.

It is set to renew Ad Block DB automatically every week (Sunday, 0:15). Additional bonus, it should increase your privacy, not sharing correct info what browser you use. Check it with your browser:

http://www.whatsmybrowser.org/

and you will be surprised that you are using Opera 15 and your OS is Windows 8 ;). Just for fun.

Voxel.

Another vote for Pi-hole, really good I use it myself. Visualizes what's going on in your network as well....

Is there a proper guide how to set up voxels entware ad blocking as id like to give it a go on my r7800

I've tried that adguard DNS but if I change the DNS server from "automatically obtain from ISP" on my r7800 router i loose my internet connection.

I've tried that adguard DNS but if I change the DNS server from "automatically obtain from ISP" on my r7800 router i loose my internet connection.
You need to reboot the router and wait. I just changed my DNS with adguard DNS on R6700 and it worked.

BTW, the OP's assumption that uBlock Origin will stop working after the add-on change is misplaced. I'm using 66.0.3 with it and everything works fine. No DNS-based solution is going to work as well as a browser add-on since it doesn't just make the site unreachable, but it also "carves out" the ad from the html. It also provides anti-ad blocking support.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!